Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these out with any luck? Good or bad opinions welcome...I'll be installing these (245/50/16) on my truck in the morning. They have got to be better than my normal street tires!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Are you going to be driving them daily? Or is this just for the times when you want to play around? I know some guys who drive them to the track and they seem to be happy with them. A little bit larger tire than what you're planning, and aired down just a bit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be running these everyday, don't care about treadlife, but they will fit my stock wheesl till I get what I want next year! I burn all the way through 1st, and second isn't so great either. I hope they just give me a
good idea on traction and wheel hop, cause at the moment I have bad traction problems and no wheel hop at all!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
You know every now and then it rains. :shrug:

While all of those dry sunny days with the drag radials will be fun and productive, it only takes one small downpoar to get your cheeks puckered when the back of your truck rides up on top of the water. While you CAN drive them on wet pavement, they can be pretty scary when you hit water run off on the road. I have never known anyone to drive on them daily. Maybe a few days in the summer with no forcast of rain, but that's it.

As far as traction improvement, a traction bar, an LSD, and sufficient (but not OVER sufficient) amount of ballast over the rear axle will optimize traction.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've used those tires before. and I enjoyed them for the most part. I've cut a 1.7' 60ft with them before. if its for daily use, i'd say go for them, if it doesn't rain much. lol. but if they are mainly for track, i'd look at the BFG's.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I installed them today at the shop and it's rained all day! I gotta say they aren't to bad in the rain at all. If your a good driver, and I'm sure most of us are since we drive fast and light trucks, then there shouldn't be much problems...just gotta be a little more carefull!! I'll test them out tommorrow and post my findings.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
I used the BFG drag radials on the camaro, got less that 5K miles before they were shot...yeah they hooked well, but at a cost of a very short useable life....

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I used the BFG drag radials on the camaro, got less that 5K miles before they were shot...yeah they hooked well, but at a cost of a very short useable life....
That's what I'm talking about. I'd like to be able to sqeeze as many valuble passes out at the strip as possible rather than use up that rubber driving to work everyday.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far, I like em! I want as much traction on the street as I can get, so if that means a spare set of slicks for track only, and my nitto drag radials for everyday use, then I'll do that! Street tires just won't cut it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
The best drag radials I've run are the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial never tried the Nittos before though.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Those look nice! How much? How r they in the rain?
Drag radials are not recommended for the rain, they dont have the proper groove pattern to displace the water, they will hydroplane very easily...

The only reason it has any grooves at all is to be street legal...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts