Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is matt. I have a 2004 single cab 2.4 5spd. The truck has 338k miles. Former pest control truck. Runs like a top, fully maintained. Im interested in lowering it probably with the djm 3/4 drop, cut rear bump stops out and install mini bump stops. 17x9 & 17x10 silver sc style wheels that mustang guys run with 245/45 front and 275/40 rears. I have a few questions?

1. What shocks should i run? I know there are many choices but whats good and not too pricy?

2. Is a 26" tall tire ok with that drop?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Welcome to CT!

It must have been confusing to post for the first time when the forum was being totally overhauled.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
About the tires ... How prepared are you to do some modifications like rolling fenders or shaving / removing front end skirting?

Even with a relatively modest 3/4 drop the wheel / tire sizes you quoted are a recipe for pesky rubbing.

The main problem with the tires you listed isn't the height - it's the width. Even with a mild drop, the front end clearance gets tricky once you get past an 8" or 8.5" width - especially in the front.

Using 10" widths in the rear is probably going to involve rolling the fenders. In an extreme case, a pre-Taco rear end needs to be used to get such wide wheels / tires to tuck at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well im not looking to swap rear ends. I could roll the fenders, a buddy of mine has a fancy tool that bolts to the hubs for that. Ive seen a few trucks with similar setups but nothing extreme was mentioned.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
You might get by without having to do anything as radical as a rear end swap with only a 3/4 drop.

It's hard to tell until you try it. Dropping gets to be a complicated 3D puzzle, and not everything can be reliably predicted based on theory and figures alone.

The wheel / tire spec's you listed are pretty radical, and staggered setups like that have proven to be problematical without a significant drop being done.

Naturally, it's hard to evaluate the possibilities without offset / backspace figures. I'm confident you'll probably have rubbing issues to overcome if you put 9" wide wheels on the front.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Do some searching on "staggered" / "stagger" (etc.) to see if you can track down previous postings about installing such a wheel / tire setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts