Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum, but have gotten some helpful tips from here before. I've recently bought a '98 2.4L Taco and I'm starting restoration soon. The main goal is getting it to pass inspection, followed by an engine tune up as it had 315,000 miles on it, and then to have fun with it adding modern car features, body work, and improve ride comfort. Any tips, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully this forum can help me with some of the more difficult parts of my project.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,047 Posts
Welcome to CT!

Reactions: Tacoroo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: so far all I've done is basic maintenance.

Oil change
Air filter change
Lots of Cleaning

The muffler had to he cut off to be replaced for it to pass inspection. Here's a few before pictures minus the muffler ordeal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to find the old failed inspection report and among the known issues it had also failed steering. It's very vague and I'm not sure specifically why it failed. Does anyone have tips on how to tell if the tie rod ends are bad or rack and pinion.

Tips on how to tighten up steering overall is also appreciated.

P.S. I've attached an image of the old muffler cut off the truck from my previous post.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,126 Posts
cruise control, buckets and the console - im a bit jealous. im about to make a shift boot, but the buckets are a bit out of my $ range. nice find

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Jack up the front, push wheels side to side to check tie rods, up and down for wheel bearing. Then get prybar and lift up under the tire to check ball joints. Inspect the rack and pinion boots for leaks. Get a haynes and chilton repair book. Dont get the David Graham CD, its mostly v6 and 4x4, i wasted my money on that cd.

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,126 Posts
Take it to Firestone, pay the 10$ got the care care package and roll from there with your shopping list

1 - 8 of 8 Posts