Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum, but have gotten some helpful tips from here before. I've recently bought a '98 2.4L Taco and I'm starting restoration soon. The main goal is getting it to pass inspection, followed by an engine tune up as it had 315,000 miles on it, and then to have fun with it adding modern car features, body work, and improve ride comfort. Any tips, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully this forum can help me with some of the more difficult parts of my project.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,246 Posts
Welcome to CT!

Reactions: Tacoroo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: so far all I've done is basic maintenance.

Oil change
Air filter change
Lots of Cleaning

The muffler had to he cut off to be replaced for it to pass inspection. Here's a few before pictures minus the muffler ordeal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to find the old failed inspection report and among the known issues it had also failed steering. It's very vague and I'm not sure specifically why it failed. Does anyone have tips on how to tell if the tie rod ends are bad or rack and pinion.

Tips on how to tighten up steering overall is also appreciated.

P.S. I've attached an image of the old muffler cut off the truck from my previous post.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,203 Posts
cruise control, buckets and the console - im a bit jealous. im about to make a shift boot, but the buckets are a bit out of my $ range. nice find

Reactions: Tacoroo

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Jack up the front, push wheels side to side to check tie rods, up and down for wheel bearing. Then get prybar and lift up under the tire to check ball joints. Inspect the rack and pinion boots for leaks. Get a haynes and chilton repair book. Dont get the David Graham CD, its mostly v6 and 4x4, i wasted my money on that cd.

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,203 Posts
Take it to Firestone, pay the 10$ got the care care package and roll from there with your shopping list

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take it to Firestone, pay the 10$ got the care care package and roll from there with your shopping list
appreciate the reply, sounds like a good deal but I've never had anything but trouble from firestone. namely one time I had to drive back to one I dropped my moms car off at because the entire shop couldn't figure out how to pop the hood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jack up the front, push wheels side to side to check tie rods, up and down for wheel bearing. Then get prybar and lift up under the tire to check ball joints. Inspect the rack and pinion boots for leaks. Get a haynes and chilton repair book. Dont get the David Graham CD, its mostly v6 and 4x4, i wasted my money on that cd.
thank you I was wondering about those repair books if they were worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car Wheel
update: I've gotten the old muffler switched out with a thrush resonator and have new headlights taillights and other lights and the truck was able to pass inspection and is on the road. It got a little shake at 70+mph so I'll be looking into the suspension next.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.