Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all. New member here, first post. I came upon this site via google search.

I am posting this in the off topic since it looks like it will get the most view here.

I traded in my F150 yesterday for a nice '06 double cab 4x4. I have driven friends before, and have always admired the way they drove and look.

Here is my question. Having spent a whole day, and a whole tank of gas in my new truck, I have noticed the rearview mirror can actually become a blind spot. I am 6'4" with a tall torso, for what it's worth. Seems like the rearview is right at eye level, even when adjusted as high as it will go. The blind spot is at about 15 to 35 or so degrees from dead front center.

So, I am used to having the huge panoramic view out the F150 window. Is my observation of this a new one? Is there any value in trying to relocate the rearview a bit higher? The view seems much more sport car like, but I dont remember driving any sports cars where the mirror actually became an obstruction...

Hmm, other than that, I'm loving my new ride!

Thanks for viewing my post and question.

Jeff

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply roosk35. I was actually thinkin of something like that. I have the compass and temp gauge up there, so not sure if it would work, but it would be worth a shot. Would you have a link to that product?

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
the one that i have won't fit over the compass/temp mirrors. they have 2 types flat and convex go with the convex one if you find one that will fit your mirror.

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I think you mis-understood my question though.

There isn't a blind spot behind me, it's the actuall mirror creating a blind spot in front of me. Kind of like when I pan across the window, to look out, there's a mirror that gets in the way. I am used to looking up at the rearview mirror, now it's like I am looking straight out at it, when I should be seeing what is out in front to the righ tof me. Not sure if I just need to get used to a new vehicle, but it just seems a little out of place to me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I dont have a problem with the rear view mirror, but I do have trouble seeing traffic lights due to the way the roof angles down to meet the windshield.

·
Banned
2,554 Posts
I had the same issue until I got used to the truck. I'm not sure if I slouch now, but it doesn't really bother me anymore.

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts
Should have bought a Tundra. Nice easy viewing mirror... not like im biased or anything :lol:

Welcome to CT dude! :waytogo:

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
azureizs said:
I dont have a problem with the rear view mirror, but I do have trouble seeing traffic lights due to the way the roof angles down to meet the windshield.
I have trouble seeing traffic lights too, specially when I'm going downhill and at a light I have to bend down and check every 10 sec or so when the light turns green. Never really complained about it :\ but welcome to CT sir!

·
CTC2WDCC
5,506 Posts
maybe you ogres should just drive bigger trucks ;p

·
Banned
3,897 Posts
Woop! Honorable mention!

I also have done the "inverted mirror BJ flip" and it works wonders.

Rednecktaco, take your mirror, angle it down, rotate it so the top becomes the bottom, and grab the arm that attaches to the window and move it up.

Doesn't work so well if you have the back up camera lol

FYI the night vision button now becomes the opposite.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I still think that they put the mirror too low on the windshield, I am only 6' and I feel like the mirror is a blind spot as well. I have delt with it tho for the past 2 years but after doing the flip mod, what a difference!!!!:waytogo:

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Woop! Honorable mention!

I also have done the "inverted mirror BJ flip" and it works wonders.

Rednecktaco, take your mirror, angle it down, rotate it so the top becomes the bottom, and grab the arm that attaches to the window and move it up.

Doesn't work so well if you have the back up camera lol

FYI the night vision button now becomes the opposite.
He has the mirror with the built in back up mini tv monitor..
He mite accidentally park it on its roof if he flipped the mirror over.. :waytogo:

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Haha I don't think my mirror is flipable haha. But my cam would be on the pass side.
Had tr bigger truck(08 tundra double cab tungrade 5.74x4)but wife couldnt drive it so it didn't stay long and the taco is here to stay.

ThE camry has the two piece normal mirror I raised itup till I can bearly see the head liner in it. It is to the roof helped out alot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts