Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can tap into to get the reverse signal on a 2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner? Also looking for the VSS signal wire?

My new Pioneer radio needs the reverse signal (a +12V) when the vehicle is in reverse to show the backup camera image on the screen. Also the GPS/Navigation works a bit better if the VSS wire is hooked up. I guess that provides a movement signal (pulses) based on speed.

Any information, diagrams, pictures, or junction locations would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

DataCrypt

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,733 Posts
Do you feel like messing around behind the dash / above the glove box to deal with the reverse signal? That's the area where the park / neutral position switch, ECM, and intermediate connector are located.

It might be easier tap into the backup light circuit (which should only go 'hot' when the vehicle is in reverse).

The reverse line you're looking for will be red with a black stripe. You can intercept it at Junction Block 3 (up behind the lower left dash), or you should be able to tap into it at the BN7 connector (which is on the floor beneath or beside the driver seat).

Here (attached) is the 2002 backup light circuit wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you feel like messing around behind the dash / above the glove box to deal with the reverse signal? That's the area where the park / neutral position switch, ECM, and intermediate connector are located.
I don't mind. I should have the time to do this. In a post I found for a '01 Tacoma, but not sure if it's correct for my '02, says this:

There are four connectors that plug into the ECU. Of these four there is only one 28 pin connector which was third from right [1][2][3][4], so on number [3] (the 28 pin connector) there is only one green/orange wire and that's the VSS wire.
Is this correct? If it's too much of a pain, where do I find the hot wire for the same backup signal?

Also, yes, I believe the reverse wire is under the carpet of the driver's seat (which means removing the seat and lifting the carpet) to find that BN7 plug and getting to that red/black wire. I'd prefer getting to it under the left dash if it's easier. Where exactly would it be? (junction somewhere near left kick plate or something?)

Thank you very much! :)

DataCrypt

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,733 Posts
Junction Block 3 is the fuse / relay box behind the lower left dash (behind the little removable door / plate).

Reactions: Taco_SS

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,733 Posts
If you're going to opt for tying into the wiring at J/B 3 (lower left dash), you can 'intercept' the green / orange speed signal wire in that same area.

The previous posting you cited is referring to the line that runs from the cluster to the ECM. The VSS signal goes to the cluster first, and then on to the ECM.

Here's how ... A green / orange wire runs from the cluster to a connector at / on / around the junction block, and the circuit continues from there via another green / orange wire to the ECM tucked away behind the glove box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're going to opt for tying into the wiring at J/B 3 (lower left dash), you can 'intercept' the green / orange speed signal wire in that same area.
Sweet! :) If that's the case, then I'm all over that! I think that would be much easier than going after it at the ECM. Don't you?

Thank you very much Enola! You've been a big help. Can't wait to get to installing this and finding/tapping into these wires.

Best Regards,

DataCrypt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Enola,

I'm looking at this FSM for Tacoma (online), where it shows the location of J/B 3. It's supposed to be for 2001-2004 Tacoma's, the bottom of the pages ALL say 2003. Notice how J/B 3 is NOT shown down by the fuse box, but way in the back/middle of the dash.

w*w.ncttora.c*m/fsm/2003/Wiring_Manual/03tacoma/relayloc/relayloc.pdf
(replace w*w with www)

Is this wrong for 2002 ? I can't seem to find the EWD that you are providing some diagrams for online. I can only find certain pages and I can't go thru the manual to the pages it references for more information. I'd like a diagram of J/B 3 as I see from the other diagrams you've sent me I need to be looking at J/B 3D and J/B 3B (the Green/Orange and Red/Black wires respectively).

Thank you for your time,

DataCrypt

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,733 Posts
Oh, crap ... :doah:

My bad ... J/B 3 is not the lower left dash fuse block - that's J/B 1.

... And to make things more complicated, there are *two* blocks known as J/B 3.

Here (attached) is an illustration of the relay / block locations.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Doh! :doah:

I was hoping I was wrong! I guess getting to J/B 3 will be much harder than BN7 (under the driver's seat) and the ECM connector behind the glove box. Would you agree? Plus how would I know which J/B 3?

What gauge wire do you think is okay to tap into these wires - 18awg or 20awg?

Thanks again,

DataCrypt

[UPDATE]
I think if I were to use J/B 3 it would be the one located behind the instrument panel (as per page 26 of the relay locations). It shows 3B and 3D there which are where I'd find these wires. Just not sure how in the world to get to that without taking the entire dash apart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Enola,

I finally installed my radio today into my 2002 Toyota Tacoma. The reverse wire (red/black) was exactly where it was supposed to be under the driver's seat. No problem tapping into that.

The Green/Orange (VSS) wire that I wanted at the ECM panel behind the glove box wasn't too bad either, but I need some help to make sure I got the wire where it should be! I had read and was told it was on the 3rd connection block from the left on the ECM. However, the Green/Orange wire was NOT on that block, bur rather on the farthest one to the right! It was the only Green/Orange wire on any of the connectors. According to all the diagrams I found, this had to be the VSS (signal pulse) wire. So, I tapped into it. I'm not done with the install yet, so I have yet to drive the vehicle to know if I got it right and if it works.

However, I just wanted to ask if you would please help me in confirming the location of this wire. The manual I have, 2003 TOYOTA TACOMA (EWD517U), is supposed to be the same for 2002 Tacomas, but I believe there may be some difference or I'm just not reading it right.

The drawing I'm referring to is in the "Electrical Wiring Routing 2" section on page 35. It shows the connector to the far right on the ECM (behind the glove box) being E5. The other drawing that actually shows the Orange/Green wire as being the wire I need is on page 81 of the "Engine Control (5VZ–FE 2WD M/T)" section. This drawing shows the Orange/Green wire going to the ECM but routes it to a block listing EC5, EC6, EC7, and EC8 in a rectangle. It shows the Orange/Green going to that block with a label 'A' (in a circle) and the number 6 next to it and then SP1 in the rectangle. How am I to determine what connector/pin that is on the ECM??

I'd just like to verify that I got the right wire and learn to read the schematic a bit better. Again, I wish I had to 2002 specific book - maybe that would help too.

Thank you very much for your time,

DataCrypt

P.S. Using the "dimmer" wire that was on the radio harness worked perfectly as the illumination wire! Also during my install I found that Toyota had reversed the left front speaker +/- wires on their harness. I simply switched the Metra wires to match and everything is working (was before too though) - don't think switch polarity on a speaker has much effect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, thanks a mil... I read your thread and was able to find the VSS and the reverse signal wire in the cab exactly where they were supposed to be, I connected both to the new Kenwood I installed and it worked perectly the the first time that I lit off my Taco Truck, thanks again for your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts