Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am gonna drop my truck, and I didnt wanna buy the JDM kit, so I was thinkin to just crank the torsion bar in the front and givin it about a 3 or 4 in drop and then in the back, either just takin out some springs or getting air shocks...first of all, how do I get to the torsion bar? Second, wat would you guys recommend for the back? Altogether? Help me out here guys, I'm a little tight on dough but I gotta drop it, its startin to itch...:thinking: :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
263 Posts
TacoSlam said:
Hey guys, I am gonna drop my truck, and I didnt wanna buy the JDM kit, so I was thinkin to just crank the torsion bar in the front and givin it about a 3 or 4 in drop and then in the back, either just takin out some springs or getting air shocks...first of all, how do I get to the torsion bar? Second, wat would you guys recommend for the back? Altogether? Help me out here guys, I'm a little tight on dough but I gotta drop it, its startin to itch...:thinking: :eyecrazy:

if you have a 2001 like you say you do on your profile, then you dont have torsion bars... look up ball joint flip on the 2wd suspension forums and you should find what your looking for. hahaha, torsion bars!:lol:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey now, we can't give him to hard of a time. Atleast hes making the effort. But, like they said flip the lower ball joints up front and lowering blocks in the rear. That would be the easiest and cheapest way to get it dropped fast.
Good luck.:waytogo:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohh...woops, hahahahaha! I totally didnt even think I wouldnt have torsion bars on my truck...MY BAD! haha...well cool, about how much of a drop will the ball joint drop give me? Cuz I dont want my truck to be lower in the back, I want it to be even, ya know?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alrighty then! Right on guys, thanks...and hey, what would you guys say about air shocks in the rear? Would they ride smoother than blocks?

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
TacoSlam said:
Alrighty then! Right on guys, thanks...and hey, what would you guys say about air shocks in the rear? Would they ride smoother than blocks?
Umm you have to have blocks to drop the rear (unless you do drop leaf springs). Airshocks only take the place of actual shocks. They do help the ride, but once you put pressure in them, they'll start raising the rear.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I probably wouldn't put in air shocks unless I was going to haul stuff. Or if you drop the rear lower then the front, then you could put air shocks on to raise it to a level ride height. I've seen that done, and it seemed to work out for a decent ride.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Air shocks need to be set to 20 psi minimum and thats bouncy. I set mine to 40 psi any more than that with 3" blocks raises the bed too much so I am getting 4" blocks to make it more level. You can also add weight in the bed to lower the back and give you better traction at the same time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right on, right on...So how much did the 4" blocks and the air shocks in the rear cost altogether? I was actually thinkin about just doin the flip in the front and puttin some 2" blocks in the rear without takin out any springs...that seems to be my cheapest and fastest dropping method right now...anyone done that? Would that be bouncy? Or would it be better if I put 4" blocks, air shocks and added weight to the bed? The only problem is that I'm tight on money and this is only for like 8 months until I can get my bags...

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Got my 4" blocks in the rear installed. Since I'm 1" lower than before do I need to get the alignment done again I would think the caster would be tilted towards the rear more now?

·
Registered
454 Posts
TacoSlam said:
Right on, right on...So how much did the 4" blocks and the air shocks in the rear cost altogether? I was actually thinkin about just doin the flip in the front and puttin some 2" blocks in the rear without takin out any springs...that seems to be my cheapest and fastest dropping method right now...anyone done that? Would that be bouncy? Or would it be better if I put 4" blocks, air shocks and added weight to the bed? The only problem is that I'm tight on money and this is only for like 8 months until I can get my bags...
If it was mine I would do the front, then set the truck on level ground take some measurements, and then put in which ever size block you need to make the truck sit level. As long as your frontend is lined up and you have good shocks all the way around. Then it should ride alright. But thats just me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, right on guys, thanks a bunch for all your help, I appreciate it! I think I'm just gonna save up and get the DJM kit, because I just found out that I ALSO have to buy new shocks anyway, so yeah, there is no such thing as cheap anymore, hahaha...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts