Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
I like your "think outside the box" idea. Sorta like WRX and STi. However the tiny scoop you have, doesn't seems to provide enough cold air into the intercooler.
If know what I'm talking about, have you noticed the difference between the normal WRX and the STi scoop ? The STi scoop is significantly taller, to allow more air into the engine bay and cool down the intercooler more efficently.
It's hard to make something efficent that work best for both, the intercooler and the radiator....you could mount the two like a V-shape (very common set up in race cars).
Or, your best bet would be to relocate the radiator and its electric-fan in the back of the truck, so you wouldn't have to worry about cooling issues. But that would be a tad orthodox....and not convenient for a daily use.
Good luck.
Alex

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm not sure where all of this came about:shrug: but i fabbed a 16 ga steel hood scoop which is fairly large and I'm pretty sure it's more than adequate for the application.. my father is an aeronautical engineer at Boeing and I just talked to him about the scoop I made. He's bringing me a digital pyrometer with 3 probes (he suggested one for ambient temps, one for after the turbo, and one for after the cooler) that has serial cable datalogging capabilities...Ill get off my ass and post some pics of the scoop..haha

·
Registered
743 Posts
speedfactory206 said:
I'm not sure where all of this came about:shrug: but i fabbed a 16 ga steel hood scoop which is fairly large and I'm pretty sure it's more than adequate for the application.. my father is an aeronautical engineer at Boeing and I just talked to him about the scoop I made. He's bringing me a digital pyrometer with 3 probes (he suggested one for ambient temps, one for after the turbo, and one for after the cooler) that has serial cable datalogging capabilities...Ill get off my ass and post some pics of the scoop..haha
Just make those naysayers quiet by posting dyno runs, important gauge readings AND THEN start producing this thing :headbang:

·
Registered
359 Posts
speedfactory206 said:
Now you are talking. It’s nice to be able to have access to proper equipment.

Check for heat soaking when caught in traffic and then see how long it takes to cool when you are under way. Also try 5 consecutive pulls from 45MPH to about 120 MPH with no break inbetween. This will give you approximate numbers to caluculate heat dissapation under load. This is nothing compared to running it at a track. You will probably be using your vehicle a little differently from some of the other CT readers. I think you would be surprised at how quickly a STI’s intercooler heat soaks under load when being used at track events.

·
Registered
255 Posts
speedfactory206 said:
The main thing I like is that since i used an open loop controller for the ECM, it maintains factory AFR ratios until I boost, which helps with my daily commute of about 60 miles.
Great work :waytogo:

ECM will always mantain AFR of 14.7:1 no matter what kind of piggy back control you have or how much you try to adjust your close loop fuel map. You dont and cant done anything about that. But there si the URD AFR Calibrator.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
haha yeah.... working with alot of other imports, I guess you could say I appreciate it that you do not have to tune part throttle maps...those are the most stubborn to tune usually. The cool thing is that no matter what changes i made to the fuel system, the ECM kept the AFRs DEAD on at 14.7:1, untill the loop change with the 02 sensor conditioner, then my fuel system actually took over. I like the Apexi S-AFC II because i am very familiar with it. I have been using the APexi controllers for over 6 years on Supras, Nissans, etc. I have yet to use the URD or other companies. I guess Split Second makes one also?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to add....I was going to use a PWR front mount intercooler, but i didnt want to cut my poor truck up to make the intercooler plumbing work, plus i wanted a compact setup. If i were to do this setup again, i would most likely opt for a liquid-to-air intercooler unit, which is what i use on alot of my customer's "sleeper" setups, as they call them. I use an inline water pump and a front mount, mini radiator. The Starion cooler was just kinda there, so i used it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That is a very cool way of doing things, I love it when people like you come out of the wood work and make all the 3.4 owners on this site drool.:waytogo: :waytogo:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Lookin good man... What size turbo is that? looks something like a T3 with a .48ar turbine housing???

I can't wait to start mine. I've already started buying stuff for it.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
T3/T4 borgwarner bullseye turbo, and manifold from luis at paradise racing.
ricky at SPEEDFACTORY did the 2"piping from the turbo outlet to the intercooler (BOV mounted here), then 2.5" from intercooler to the throttle body (the MAF is mounted to this pipe), 2.5" down pipe with a 3 bolt flex pipe, then 3" exhaust (no cat) to a huge 3" SKUNK2 muffler behind the axle. Ricky made an adapter for the wastegate because the manifold from paradise didn't have a flange for it, it looks hella sick with clean welds. RICKY did a good job man.
I really like how the intercooler was mounted, it fits just right behind the bumper. :bow: SPEEDFACTORY:applause:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Awesome man. How does it drive? spool up? max boost? ect...

You get it dyno'd yet?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Awesome man. How does it drive? spool up? max boost? ect...

You get it dyno'd yet?
Still using the stock injectors so it runs just like stock when not in boost.
While cruisin on the freeway its smooth and stays steady at 14-15 on the wideband. Spools up real quick, its on demand, as soon as i step on the gas it spools and reaches 8 PSI very quickly. No its not dynoed yet, we are not finished with the fuel mods.
installing a 5th injector soon.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Very nice! Where is your MAF, and it looks like you retained your AC?
The MAF is on the charge pipe between the intercooler and the throttle body. Its the same distance from the throttle body just like on the stock intake. The boost pressure maxes it out but i got a voltage clamp preventing it from freakin out. At 4.?? Volts it automaticaly sprays fuel but the little stock injectors cant support it so it leans out at 8 PSI (16-17 on the wideband). BUT at 5 PSI non WOT (part throttle) its at 12-13 on the wideband. Thats why we are goin to put a 5th injector on a throttle body spacer to richen it up! Ricky said its gonna be like 880cc or close to that.
YES its still got the A/C
For a daily driven truck its pretty much like driving a stock truck till i start boosting then its hella fast! THANKS RICKY.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I didn't think an intercooler would fit behind that particular bumper :thinking: What size is the intercooler and how much cutting was required to get it to fit?
30x9x2.5 the piping goes through the core support not around or under, pipes are hella short. A bar across the core support was also cut. As for the bumper, the passenger bracket was cut, and the upper bumper was untouched but the lower plastic valance was trimed out.
Make sure you have a extra hand when handling the bumper because the fender might get scratched. I F*cked mine up a little.:selfbonk:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm wondering if mine will be able to take 8 PSI without leaning out that bad. I have the 320cc injectors instead of the 285cc ones.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I'm wondering if mine will be able to take 8 PSI without leaning out that bad. I have the 320cc injectors instead of the 285cc ones.
you got the pink ones. cool. i got the blue ones. it prolly wont lean as bad but you still need more fuel if you wanna make max HP.
I cant wait for my 5th injector

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ya I will definitely upgrade sooner of later... just a matter of $$$ lol

21 - 40 of 47 Posts