Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
My name is Richard and I own and operate my own import performance shop in University Place, WA, called SPEEDFACTORY. I specialize in TIG welding and custom turbocharger kits. This is my personal vehicle, a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6. The TRD 5VZFE supercharger kit just wasnt cutting it for me, even with proper fuel enrichment, so i located all of the necessary components to convert it back to N/A, then i fabricated a turbo kit for it. i made twin wrap- around turbo manifolds and they meet at a Mitsubishi TF07 turbocharger with an HKS 50mm external wastegate, which i re-routed back into the downpipe for noise reasons. I run a Wideband 02 as well as both of the stock 02 sensors to ensure proper air/fuel ratios at all times. I am using 6 supra turbo injectors from a MK 3 supra, Apexi S-AFCII, BOOST and EGT gauges, a top-mounted intercooler (with my custom functional hood scoop, of course!), custom 3" exhaust, GReddy Type S BOV, and a bunch of other little stuff. Im running some NGK 7 heat range spark plugs gapped at .030 to help prevent detonation. No dyno runs yet, but It makes a ton more power than the supercharger kit did. The main thing I like is that since i used an open loop controller for the ECM, it maintains factory AFR ratios until I boost, which helps with my daily commute of about 60 miles. Ive had this on here for almost 5 months, no problems whatsoever. let me know what you guys think! PS I do have an intake pipe with the filter and the MAF, it was off for the pics.:headbang:

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH YEAH almost forgot.. I keep the AFRS around 11.5-11.7 under full boost (11 PSI) to help keep exhaust temps down when im towing or boosting on the freeway. I have the 33's to help me prevent burning out all the time, but they only start to help in 4th gear. At the time I did this, I didnt think I'd ever want to make this kit again..because of all the work involved..but i have alot of requests so I just might have to make a few more kits... I did build pipe jigs for all of the parts though in case i did have to make another one.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
First of all, welcome to CT...:waytogo:
Second of all, you have a very nice setup. Very clean and thoughtful....bravo !
Let me ask you: how are you planing to pass the smog test ? Is it strict up in WA ? Here in California...po-po are always after you...gotta watch out sometimes.
Another question: what kind of Fuel management are you using ? Standalone, or a Piggyback...?
Thanks...and let us posted when you take it on the dyno...:waytogo:
Alex

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a testpipe in right now, which I unbolt and place a catalytic converter in when that time comes around!! Shhh!! For fuel management, I am using the following:

6 Supra Turbo injectors (440cc i believe)
APexi S-AFCII
Zeitronix Wideband Air/fuel monitor
Autometer boost and exhaust temperature gauges
Stock fuel pump
Stock MAF
and I made my own closed/open loop controller, which is manifold pressure based. Very similar to the Split Second unit. It determines when the S-AFC will take over the stock ecu's injector control.
I also used a honda TA sensor (intake air temp) sensor and mounted it near the front grill of the truck, so it wouldnt pull so much timing due to heat in the air intake ducting. Eventually I will use the OEM maf-integrated air temp sensor after i fab a heat shield between the intake and the turbo

·
Turbonator
518 Posts
Nice setup :waytogo: .

Any more pics of the hood scoop? I'm having some hood clearance issues with my 3.4 turbo :) .

·
Registered
824 Posts
tour4fun said:
Nice setup :waytogo: .

Any more pics of the hood scoop? I'm having major hood clearance issues with my 3.4 turbo :) .
I think its the stock hood, the body lift helps clear the 'cooler

·
Registered
359 Posts
Looks very clean. Nice job. What are your intake temps? Have you attached a pyrometer to your intercooler? A very easy way to see how functional your hood scoop is for cooling is to tie a few strings to your hood and cruise at various speeds. This will give you a guestamet of how much air is actually being diverted to your scoop to cool your intercooler. You can check the pyrometer while you are doing this to check to see if you are getting heat saturation under load or while idling. The hood scoop has to be able to overcome the air pressure being forced in to the engine compartment through the radiator.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah. the hood scoop is VERY functional. ill take some better pics of it very soon. If you look at my pics from the front of my truck, you can see where i modded the hood skeleton and where the vents that direct the air to the cooler are. Believe it or not it is actually a Mitsubishi Starion intercooler, designed for front mount. It is the OEM hood, cut, and the scoop is currently bolted on. I havent logged the charge temps in and out, but the cold side of the pipe is cold if I grab it after boosting hard for a few mins. With the size and efficiency of this compressor, the hot pipe isnt too bad opn temps anyways, compared to alot of the other applicaitons that I do. I have tried damn near everything for fuel management, Walbro pumps etc, and the stock pump does the job. In combination with these injectors, it holds my AFRS rich no matter if i downshift and bang gears quickly or if i ease into it or bog it on the freeway and run full boost at 2500rpms. I have one question for you guys.......does the 4 runner sport or whichever model it is hood with the scoop fit on the taco??? I see them driving around all the time and I want that hood! it looks like it might be a little different around the headlights though?

·
Registered
616 Posts
speedfactory206 said:
......does the 4 runner sport or whichever model it is hood with the scoop fit on the taco??? I see them driving around all the time and I want that hood! it looks like it might be a little different around the headlights though?
unfortunitly it does not bolt right up you would have to buy the fenders, bumper, grill, and hood to make it all fit right. Although someone does make a fiberglass version for the taco's I forgot who though...I'm not sure the fiberglass one is functional, I know the 4runner one isn't.

Nice setup btw.

·
Registered
43 Posts
F***ing amazing!!! That is some awesome craftmanship right there. Makes my SC look just a little silly in comparison. Let me know if you put the kit into production, i know several who would be in line waiting!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts