6,533 Posts
yea i got some..hang on and ill post 'em

·
damn
6,533 Posts

·
damn
6,533 Posts
on the front and back of the topper, they gave you the option of either screw in snaps, or velcro to secure it down...Now i spent like $700 on this top, and It just seemed really $hitty way to secure it for all the bones i spent on it...Not to mention, if you leave the velcro on for long enough, im sure it will peel your paint off, and there no way in hell im drilling into my tailgate and bed to mount this top which is why i sold it

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Here are the details about my sleeping platform:

4 pieces total.
sheet of ply
2 - 2x10's ripped to height
1 - 2x4

Picture 1: The 3 support pieces. The longer 2x10 is the center spine, the shorter is the cross member that goes right behind the cab. Notice the 2 notches in the long member. These accept the 2 cross members and are a snug fit so no fasteners (screws, nails) are needed. The holes in the smaller 2x10 are handles so it can be pulled off the joint, which fits rather tightly, more easily.

Picture 2: Center support laying in bed; Held in place by the groves in the bed and my linex.

Picture 3: Cab side cross member and center support fitted together.

Pictures 4 & 5: Recess for rear cross member(4) and rear cross member fitted(5).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Picture 6: Small steel brackets to beef up the 2x4 legs. These only help against later forces and don't offer any strength vertically. Basically, they prevent the legs from getting tweaked if they are pulled or pushed on while this piece is stored in my closet. The legs are also screwed on with 2 - 2 1/2" coated decking screws, each. Really this plate isn't necessary but it was $0.97 and I don't mind overkill.

Picture 7: Here's a shot from the back of the truck with the ply sheathing removed and the frame fully assembled. You can see that there is about 10" of storage under the entire platform.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Hey mdsims. Are you gonna carpet ur platform? When i first got my truck it came with a carpeted platform, but took it out. You can have it if ya want. Its fairly soft and only 2-3" thick. Just sitting at home, probably never gonna use it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
thanks disassemble

and tacobowl, yea i got your pm, but I'd rather keep my platform wood. its more durable that way and is easy to just hose off. if i ever do carpet it, I'd use some marine grade loop or pile, something durable and in a color that won't show dirt easily. for now, it'll be left bare wood with, possibly, a coat of water sealer on it

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Thanks for the very nice writeup / pics on the sleeping platform construction! ... :waytogo:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts