Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I ordered a new softopper for the MidCal meet we just had. I fabbed myself up a simple and removable sleeping platform as well. The install of the topper was simple and quick. It fit well and is top quality. Customer service was pretty darn amazing to say the least. Here are some pics of the install and the sleeping thing.

The sleeping rack consists of 4 parts: a center spine (ripped 2x10) notched to fit a forward cross member (ripped 2x10) and a rear member (2x4 laying flat). On top of that is a sheet of ply. The 2x10's were ripped down to the height of the wheel wells so that they are also supporting the ply. The only screws that were used were to hold the ply on the frame. he frame itself is held together by 'snug fit' notches. This makes the frame easy to store at my apartment (I'm in college) When I take it apart to store I'll take some pics of it in pieces. Total spent: less than $18. Ply was free.

Under the frame is open for storage of anything that will fit. It came in handy for sleeping at the meet and I threw an air mattress on the top level and put all my crap under the platform. I was able to stuff it full with 2 shotguns, 1 case of water, 2 cases of soda, BBQ and BBQ supplies, jacket, hitch mounted clay thrower, wrist rocket clay thrower, tool box, tent, folding chair, and much more.

My next plan is to hinge the sides down the middle so I can access the stored stuff more easily.

Hope you guys enjoy the functional aspect of my design.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
I like the platform design! ... :waytogo:

For archival purposes, here are the photos as attachments ...

Installment #1 ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to post up some shots with the ply off when I wash all the mud off her this weekend.

Nice and how do you like your Nitto Terra Grapplers on and off road?:shrug:
I love these tires. They are many times quieter than BFG KO's and handle quite well on the street. They do well on wet roads too, about as good as could be expected from any wide tire (mine are 285 75 r16). They also hold their own in the dirt. Just this weekend I put them through a little bit of everything: dirt, sand, some jagged rocky roads, etc. They handle well at high speed on dirt roads too....:evil:

For the price, you can't beat them; even at a higher price, I'd still pick them over some of the other tires out there. If my taco was a trail-only rig, my choice might have been different. Until then, I'll be sticking with the Nittos.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
I was wondering how you like the topper like the fit n finish and materials. Ive been looking at Softtopper since Can-Bak doesnt make 1 for my truck.:thinking:
reread the first few lines of my first post.

The softopper met and exceeded all my expectations. The canvas is impregnated with some sort of rubber/vinyl on one side. It is pliable yet strong in tension and shear. The aluminum substructure is strong and perfectly fit tot he Tacoma. I turn lots of heads driving down the road. One couple driving next to me asked where they could get one for their Tacoma.

·
damn
6,533 Posts
I hated my softtopper... Espically the Velcro on the front and back,.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
On the front I used the suppied screw/snaps to secure the flap of canvas. My bed is linex'd so the velcro would not have worked. as for the tailgate....i used the 3 small strips of velcro they now supply (used to be one huge strip) and called for some detailed info about how to apply it. Softopper gave me some tips that worked out great. I'm still not sure that velcro is right for me so Softopper is sending me more snap screws, snaps for the front flap, and a snap installer to install the snaps on the front flap.............all for free. They are also sending more velcro incase this stuff comes loose...which, despite all the dust, mud and wind, it has not. Honestly, I don't mind the velcro one bit. Sure beats a heavy and awkward fiberglass shell. And storage is a breeze.

·
damn
6,533 Posts
that's true, but for all that you spent, they give you Velcro.. I was going to fabricate up a front and rear mount(much like a soft tonneau) but I sold it

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
that's true, but for all that you spent, they give you Velcro.. I was going to fabricate up a front and rear mount(much like a soft tonneau) but I sold it
I agree, for the bones I spent on it I was surprised at the velcro. Thinking about it more, It makes sense. If velcro works just fine, why drill holes in your tailgate to mount some sort of bracket contraption?

·
damn
6,533 Posts
I wasn't going to drill.. I was going to put those button things in that they used to put the two halves together

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey guys... that softoper looks real tight mdsims. I luv camping, but it seems like every time we go we get wet through the tent. It looks like you would stay really dry. and i really like the elevated sleeping platform. what was the price on tht bad boy. When the taco's-a-rockin don't come-a-knockin!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts