Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i done a search for this couldnt find any answers.

So heres my question..I am installing a system using 1 mono and 1 two channel amp. For a easier install I have purchased a power distributor block. Do I put my fuses in between the battery and the block? Or in betwen the block and the amps? The distributor block I have is not fused. Thanks in advance. :)

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Your best bet is a fuse around one foot from the battery with the combined fuse outputs = to both the amps. Also make sure you use large enough wire to accomadate them. Then buy a fused distribution block with individual fuses for the amps. That way if you cut your power wire in line some where you dont have to look for a new truck couse yours lit on fire :) .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my mono amp has a 60 amp fuse..the 2 channel has a 20 amp fuse. So from the battery i nedd a 80 amp inline.....then i can also from the block to each amp. THANKS:meemee:

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
BRB GTG PP said:
Let me make a little correction with that last post...

Fuse it NO MORE than one foot from the battery with the total of all the fuses you will use in the distro block to protect each amp.
Thats what I meant thanks for clearing that up:waytogo:

·
Registered
17 Posts
you should really just break down and get a 100 amp circuit break right before the distribution block. That way you just happen to blow a fuse 3 in the morning, you can just reset the breaker :waytogo:

·
www.LiquidAss.com
3,345 Posts
kccrypt said:
you should really just break down and get a 100 amp circuit break right before the distribution block. That way you just happen to blow a fuse 3 in the morning, you can just reset the breaker :waytogo:

No...

Fuses are the most important part of the system... w/o them, chances are you'll have no system and no car sooner or later.

"Reliability: In my opinion and from my experience, circuit breakers are less reliable than fuses (especially when the breaker is mounted in the harsh environment under the hood). Quality fuses like ANL and Maxi fuses have a solid element (no solder connections) and will almost never have an intermittent or poor electrical connection. A circuit breaker will eventually have higher contact resistance than when it was new. This is especially true if the breaker has been tripped (by overcurrent) more than a few times. If you're going to compete and can't take a chance of having a problem like a bad connection in the power line, you should use a good quality fuse. Now I know that people have had fuses blow in competition but it was because the fuse was not properly rated, not because the fuse was defective. For those who have had trouble with glass fuses, read the fuses page of this site. "
Source: http://www.bcae1.com/cirbrakr.htm

Main link: www.bcae1.com

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
kccrypt said:
Why would you put a breaker right before the fuse block? That is pointless unless you wanted to turn the power off to service the system. But you still need a fuse no more than 1 foot from the battery.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
one , i have never had a problem with my circuit breaker . Two , the circuit breaker doesnt go before , the fuse block it replaces it, i sayed the circuit breaker is before the "distribution block" , meaning for example a 4 ga comes in and is split into 2 8 gauge connections. Three , i ve installed setups, and seen amateur installers time and time again 1: blow glass fuses without sign of a blown fuse 2: blow plastic fuses that get so hot they create a connection between already blown fuses/ i.e creating a path for power. And finally the spl champions this year for pioneer kyle witherspoon and scott owens use, i wonder "circuit breakers" isnt that crazy . :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
419 Posts
kccrypt said:
one , i have never had a problem with my circuit breaker . Two , the circuit breaker doesnt go before , the fuse block it replaces it, i sayed the circuit breaker is before the "distribution block" , meaning for example a 4 ga comes in and is split into 2 8 gauge connections. Three , i ve installed setups, and seen amateur installers time and time again 1: blow glass fuses without sign of a blown fuse 2: blow plastic fuses that get so hot they create a connection between already blown fuses/ i.e creating a path for power. And finally the spl champions this year for pioneer kyle witherspoon and scott owens use, i wonder "circuit breakers" isnt that crazy . :eyecrazy:
& finally you have #5:

The 4 ga wire from the battery to the breaker shorts out to the frame & you have just solved all your sound system questions - no more truck to worry about :selfbonk:

·
www.LiquidAss.com
3,345 Posts
Please use proper size fuses.
I'd hate to hear of another casualty of an accident where a car catches on fire because the power wire wasn't fused properly.
It happens more than you think.

kccrypt said:
I'm not knocking you skills or ability, but if you (or they) are blowing fuses, that is a sign of a deeper issue. The fuse is just cheap insurance, and an indicator that you may have some electrical demons. If fuses are melting, there is an issue. Use a good quality fuse brand like BUSS or LITTELFUSE.
And one more fact, if circuit breakers are superior to fuses, why don't car makers use them? It would save money in the long run for everyone. (Less shop time for someone who can't change a fuse)

And how much is a breaker? I bet you can buy lots of fuses with that money. (I do not know because I know better NOT to use one, so I don't bother to look.)

You can find more than you ever wanted to know @ www.bcae1.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
i give it to you that blown fuses is an underlying problem, but the idea that car manufacters would create different circuit breakers of different amperage , the cost would go right back to the consumer your talking atleast 500 extra dollars on just breakers
the idea that circuit breakers are not as superior because there not used by factory is retarded :brickknoc there just not economical

·
www.LiquidAss.com
3,345 Posts
kccrypt said:
i give it to you that blown fuses is an underlying problem, but the idea that car manufacters would create different circuit breakers of different amperage , the cost would go right back to the consumer your talking atleast 500 extra dollars on just breakers
the idea that circuit breakers are not as superior because there not used by factory is retarded :brickknoc there just not economical

Well, I see economy breakers in car audio shops for $5 up to 100 amps.
I don't think I have any fuses that high in my truck.
If all car manufacturers used them, they could buy in huge bulk and get them for dirt cheap. You gotta love China.:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts