Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering whether anyone knows if an MTX thunderform box, which claims to fit standard cab tacos with no loss of leg room, will fit in a '95 tacoma. I ask because MTX lists it as fitting '96-'00 tacos but to my knowledge, the inside of the cab (behind driver's seat) didn't change from '95 to '96. If you can enlighten me I would be very greatfull. I need something that will fit in that tiny space. Right now I have a fosgate 10" in a box I made but it limits leg room severely.

Kevin

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just build a better box. Find out how many cu ft. of air space you want on that sub. Then find the dimensions like AxAxA, make sure their in inches... then divide those by 1728. That'll give you the cu.ft of air space. When you find a set of dimensions that'll work then, there ya go. : ) Custom boxes are simple. Hence example, a box 12" long, 20" wide, 15" tall = 2.08 cu.ft. airspace. So with that figure out the dimension you want.... make it less lengthwise if you want leg room.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how to make a box, it's just that the space behind the seat it so tiny... Plus there is a weird lump thing that is hard to build around. I might try again when I get some free time, maybe over christmas break.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
To answer the original question, I would suspect that nothing changed (that I know if) between '95.5 and '96. Not quite sure why they would list it as only fitting '96-'00 Tacos. Maybe they don't know that Toyota actually introduced them in '95.5.

Try it. If it doesn't fit, take it back. Crustchfield is really good about taking stuff back if it's not right or doesn't fit. On the other hand, I've found places like Best Buy to be bad about taking things back if they'v been opened.

D

·
0 Posts
Does anyone have any info on mounting a 10" sub under the cargo area in an extra-cab? This guy claims to have fit one, ( http://webm3233.ntx.net/putnam/cheapcleansub.htm# ) but the picture won't load...i don't see how to fit anything bigger than an 8" in there. I'd really like to get some bass in there and keep my rear area open, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Chris
'99 Taco extra cab (2wd)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I actually created a new counsel with the sub in the rear. I'll try to get to pics to show. I removed the factory counsel, and I replaced it with a custom box. Cool thing is that I made the box look like the original counsel. Use the program attached to get the right specs for the box.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Sorry the program is too large. The program is called AJ Sealed designer. Do a search on google.com. You should find it there.

D

·
0 Posts
thanks, i'll look at it...so you actuall removed and built your own rear seat box? do the seats still work? what can you fit in there as far as speakers?

Thanks a lot for the info!

Chris
'99 Taco extra cab

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I have an ext cab. The counsel sits between the front two seats. The back jumps seats are still accessible. The counsel totals about 35 inches in length. Its about 13 inches tall. The sub part has a sealed space of .87 cubic feet. I am using a JL W3 D2 10 in. and it sounds Great!

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
It's me (anonymous) i decided to register, I'm spending enough time on here. :) I get what you're saying now, i don't have a console though, i have the 2 piece bench, not buckets (though i think i might get some buckets someday maybe) I'm interested in mounting something in the rear cargo compartment behind the passenger side, under where the jump seats fold down to. I got a pick of an 8" installed there from Miniac...I want to know if anyone has managed a 10" like the guy on ttora claims...here's the pic I got.

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The only way a 10 will fit is if you cut. The compartment is not big enough for anything larger than an 8. Try the JL Audio site. They have a custom box for the ext cabs. Bad thing is that they $400 big ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts