Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,302 Posts
But mine is also a 2.4L with Ignition coils aka 2004... Where do I start the cylinder count> front to back? Or Back to front? Gotta figure out cylinder #3 on my 2004.
The 2RZ cylinder numbering goes from front to back. Cylinder #1 is the front-most and Cylinder #4 is the rear-most.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Count starts at front. Typical is to swap plug and coil and see where misfire moves
I thought about it but My "Tacomie" has been placed back into service since it's my winter-beater... All my hotrods are now hybernating until next spring.

Initially I thought it was the rear-cat causing problems... so I put the old rear-cat pipe back in and cleared the CEL... Drove like a champ for three days.

So I'm "ALL-IN" sorta speak and don't want any down time... just gonna replace all four coils [Original & now 17/18 years old too] but will still check #3 plug to be sure it's okay or intact.

Thanks everyone... (y)

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,302 Posts
For what it's worth ... Denso was an original equipment supplier to Toyota back in the day.

However, I'm not sure whether Denso was the OEM supplier for the coils.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Using the engine bay pic above ... But mine is also a 2.4L with Ignition coils aka 2004... Where do I start the cylinder count> front to back? Or Back to front? Gotta figure out cylinder #3 on my 2004.

Versus the distribution coil & plug wire set up shown in the pic...

A little history & new issue arose with my Tacoma:
I've installed new Denso Iridium spark plugs back in 2019 after doing it originally in 2014...
But still using the 17 year old original ignition coils. NOW I get a "P0303" / "Engine Mis-fire Cylinder 3"

Yes I will check my spark plugs but I believe it's the ignition coil now... I cleared the "CEL"... Truck drove normal but after three days of driving & roughly 150 miles the "CEL" has come back on...
Just haven't got a chance to connect the scanner since it got "cold" quick outside. Will do it tomorrow.

IF it's Cylinder-3 Misfire... Using the pic, which on is it on my '04?

I did a parts search... Using Summit-Racing website & a Toyota parts-site...

Summit Racing/Toyota-Tacoma 2.4L Ignition Coils

Toyota Parts 90919-02237

I figured I better keep with the OE parts... So I figured the Denso-version listed on Summit is the same as Toyota-OE right?

Cylinder closest to the radiator is #1, then in numerical order. Front to back. It's the same for all 2\3RZ engines regardless of ignition system used.

It is highly recommended that you stay with denso coils. They are really good. My 2000 has been running the stock coils now for 21 years and I've got a built engine and 20+psi of boost.

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,235 Posts
Denso is oes. They are a tier 1 supplier and the original to the vehicle. Now ngk and a few others are good but denso, and Hitachi are the oems for Japanese vehicles

·
Registered
209 Posts
Installed four NEW Denso ignition coil-on-plug units... cleared the CEL.

Ran like a champ for 20 or so miles... combination of back-roads & highway. Pulled into a store parking lot and ran an errand. Came back to my Tacoma after 15 minutes or so...
Fired up the Truck... uuhhh... It's back to the "weird" idling AGAIN... Man, so annoying... That was last weekend...

Fast-forward to today, I went to the parts store picked a box of new NGK Iridium spark-plugs... the exact same ones I've been using since 2014.
Installed a NEW spark-plug and was about to drive out of my neighborhood... again it goes back to the weird idling and get the P303 "Cylinder-3 Misfire"...

I'm at my wits-end on this truck... never had an issue until now... All the wires to the C-O-Ps are covered in the OE hard-plastic "grey-tube" & I sorta don't want to cut anything just yet.

I checked all the electrical connections & wiring to the MAF, throttle-body, C-O-Ps, fuel-injectors and any surrounding the intake-manifold. Everything is intact, dry & I don't smell fuel/gas... I don't see or hear any air-leaks.

I'm gonna order a Fuel-Injector for the number-3 cylinder and swap it out. See what happens next...

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Instead of ordering an injector, just swap it with another position, it's free. You're throwing money at it...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Again the truck is 17 years old, IF I have to remove it anyway- It's getting replaced. I don't have time to keep "messing-with-it".

When the truck was at idle at a stop-light, it wanted to rev at a lower RPM... like it was starving for fuel [3/4-tank FULL]. Then immediately it seemed like my truck was "passing-a-kidney-stone" and instantly jumped back up in RPM & the CEL turned off. As if it was possessed... then ran normal & smooth like nothing happened. STRANGE...
All while waiting for the light to turn green.

Then two or three miles later or roughly 15 minutes later, the CEL turned back accept it didn't flash on & off; just stayed on. Truck drove home like normal w/ the CEL on.

It can't be a fuel-filter issue or all 4 injectors would be starving for fuel. Besides, I install a new WIX fuel filter last summer and roughly 5 or 7 thousand miles ago.

·
Registered
209 Posts
UPDATE:

So I went ahead & ordered the AutoZone version fuel injectors [800-1770N]... four of 'em...

On the plus side, the box claim they are "Made in USA" & I have a 3-year warranty...
AND 20% off online-coupon w/ free shipping too...$114.39 apiece...

Since I had to pull the throttlebody assembly to access the fuel injectors, I went ahead & changed out the IAC valve [Idle Air Control]
Cleaned out the throttlebody assembly and install a new Fel-Pro gasket too.

.........................................................................................................................................
New Injectors
New IAC Valve
New Coil-on-Plugs

My truck drives like a champ... again...
So I'm guessing the #3 fuel injector was faulty since the CEL Code "#3 Misfire" has gone away...

I am saving the original OEM injectors... going to send the originals out to be "overhauled" and possibly pay for any potential improvements.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Gas Auto part

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Bottle

21 - 39 of 39 Posts