Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed that my methanol solution being injected half way up my K&N intake tube is dripping down onto my filter, soaking the bottom half of it. I am assuming this is due to the throttle body valve closing slightly before the pump deactivates. Possibly overspray with my nozzle as well. Well my question is, will this have any adverse affects on my performance or reliability? I realize most of the solution is being sucked into the engine...so how bad could it be? Is it worth creating an overflow...or "overspray" tank to catch and dispose of the excess properly? I am also looking into a foam filter as opposed to the K&N, but am wondering if the solution might deteriorate it...or possibly even my K&N filter. Any suggestions, ideas and comments are most welcome. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Why don't you put the WI nozzle on the manifold side of the TB? How close is the WI valve to the nozzle?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The valve is inside the nozzle... a low pressure check valve. I originally installed it on the supercharger side of the throttle body, but the valve wasn't strong enough to prevent the vacuum from sucking it through at idle causing a misfire. So I had to relocate it into the K&N intake tube. :doah:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is not actually a production w/i kit. I am using a shurflo pump with an inline filter, custom made tank in my bed, m10 brass nozzle with in internal check valve, controlled by a pressure switch set at 6 psi, with progessive spray dependant on my injector #1 flow rate.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sounds like you need a better valve. It's like you're asking if you should put a bucket on the floor because you have a hole in the roof. Yeah a bucket will work but I say fix the hole in roof.:D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol, clever metaphor. Though I am doubting that a stronger check valve will solve my problem. I can't prove this, but I am thinking that the pump is shooting a final pulse of the solution a split second after the throttle body valve closes, leaving it no where to go but down to the filter. Does this sound plausible?

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
That should not be a problem unless you are flowing a firehose amount of water. It sounds to me like your system is leaking pressure when shut down.

When you start your truck does your system run to the pump to restore pressure? If so that pressure is leaking out somewhere. If it runs for more then a split second I think that is your problem.

Do you have any idea how much water you are flowing from your system at peak torque?

Gadget

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can still feel pressure in the lines after shutting my truck down. The line has constant pressure since I have no means of purging and the only valve is inside the nozzle. The flow rate of my nozzle is approximately 0.2 gallons per minute and my pump is approximately 3 gallons per minute. I am not sure the actual flow rate at peak torque though. From a cold start i can led it idle as long as it wants and the filter will remain dry, but as soon as I put it in drive, hit 6psi or more to activate the pressure switch and pull over I can see the solution starting to drip slightly. Then the more I spray the more it seems to soak the filter. the website where i got my the kit from must have just been put back up after being down for a while. www.Derekdevises.com
I got the standard flow, progessive kit.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Try removing your nozzle from the intake, attach a small hose to the nozzle and run it up under windshield wiper so that it shoots water/meth on the windshield when you hit boost. Then take a drive to see what's really happening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts