Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
401 - 414 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Well, I got the leather done and unraveled the masking tape so I could admire the contrasting black of the carbon against the black of the leather. It looked spectacular.
20211021_104659 by Jose, on Flickr
20211021_104628 by Jose, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the upper right hand side showed some imperfections and lumps through the leather.
20211021_104423 by Jose, on Flickr

I ended up removing the leather and smoothing those imperfections using a soldering iron (these were imperfections from hot glue gun that I used to fill in some gouges in the steering wheel rubber)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
That piece of leather never fit perfectly and was a nightmare to re-stitch, something I attempted twice before giving up and making a whole new piece
20211022_140709 by Jose, on Flickr

You may notice this leather appears a different color, this is because I did shoe polish on the other piece. This one got it after I was done stitching
20211020_223721 by Jose, on Flickr

Here is a mockup with the airbag and buttons, post shoe polish
20211023_120301 by Jose, on Flickr

I then took the buttons and lower airbag cover trim off so I could carbon wrap them. In the meantime, I installed my push start button to see how it would look
20211023_194456 by Jose, on Flickr

20211023_194507 by Jose, on Flickr

I can't wait to get this thing in the truck!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
I took some time today and wrapped a set of buttons in carbon fiber. I also filled in low spots on the back of the second steering wheel that I am building.

These rear pieces have the button shaved since both buttons will be up front now
20211025_180622 by Jose, on Flickr

These are the front pieces
20211025_180626 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
Messing around with 3D printed buttons revealed that it will be rather difficult to get the proper dimensions for a dual button setup on the front of the steering wheel. I will need to have the button housings 3D scanned so I can modify the design in CAD. That will allow me to create a built in, dual button setup much like the built in single button it comes with. In the meantime, I got tired of waiting, so I assembled the steering wheel and installed it. None of the electrical, save for the horn, will work for the time being. Also, the connectors from the steering column to the clockspring do not match those of the IS300 clockspring (another downer to my 96 vs 98 and later Tacomas.) No biggie, I will just have to take a trip to the junkyard to collect the correct connectors. At the very least, I will be able to enjoy this beauty, and let the wrinkles disappear under the heat of the Florida sun.

20211108_211043 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,082 Posts
I think it looks nice.

Reactions: MatosTaco

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 · (Edited)
I also just finished a mod I started a couple days ago. Since I shaved the holes for the windshield washers off my hood, I was looking for a new way to mount them. I noticed my Camaro has them mounted to the cowl cover, so I decided to try that. My old washers were in bad shape and I lost one, so I ordered some washers intended for the 2005+ Tacomas. I read on Tacomaworld that those have a better spray pattern and that was attractive vs just buying the older style ones with the dual streams.

Here are the ones I bought
20211101_200215 by Jose, on Flickr

I had to design and 3D print some adapters in order to mount them to the cowl (the adapters fit pressed into the cowl and are then held in with ABS cement).
20211110_195849 by Jose, on Flickr
20211110_173811 by Jose, on Flickr
20211110_173815 by Jose, on Flickr

I connected the two sprayers to each other using 5/32" washer tubing from Prestone (sold in a 6 foot length at Autozone) and placed a T-fitting in the middle of the tubing. This, in turn, connects to the tubing coming off the pump on the washer reservoir. The reason for the T in the center is to ensure even flow to both sides. I added a zip tie to each connection in order to avoid loosening over time (the T didn't feel all that tight on the tubing).
20211110_173819 by Jose, on Flickr
20211110_173827 by Jose, on Flickr

I used a single strand copper cable to fish the tubing from the pump through the fender well and out the cowl area so that I could connect it to the T-fitting. There is a readily available opening next to the reservoir through which you can put the tubing into the fender well.
20211110_184459 by Jose, on Flickr
From there, you can run the wire up the fender well into an opening that leads into the cowl area. I tested the wipers to ensure the tubing wouldn't become impinged on the wiper arms and it all looks good.

Here they are with the cowl mounted to the truck
20211110_173844 by Jose, on Flickr

A test showed that they were spraying properly, such that the windshield ended up evenly wet with the movement of the wipers.
20211110_184329 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
Another thing I want to do is to eliminate all of the chrome from my truck. For that reason, I ordered a new grill and bumper in black. I intent to paint them either body color or a gloss black, I haven't made my mind up just yet.

Here's the new bumper
20211109_213332 by Jose, on Flickr

I also got all stainless hardware to replace both the nuts that hold the bumper to the truck and the bolts that hold the valence to the bumper
20211109_213336 by Jose, on Flickr

I cannot wait! A couple of simple paint jobs and this front end is finally coming back together!
20211110_195831 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,082 Posts
There's just one thing that occurs to me in looking at the nicely clean new windshield washer arrangement. The washer nozzles now sit in close to the wipers. Your test spray was apparently done while the truck was sitting still in the garage.

I'd be interested to know whether the washers' spray pattern works as well when you're moving at speed. In other words, I'm curious how well they cover the windshield with air flowing across the hood and deflecting up over the windshield.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
I think it looks nice.
Thanks Enola!

There's just one thing that occurs to me in looking at the nicely clean new windshield washer arrangement. The washer nozzles now sit in close to the wipers. Your test spray was apparently done while the truck was sitting still in the garage.

I'd be interested to know whether the washers' spray pattern works as well when you're moving at speed. In other words, I'm curious how well they cover the windshield with air flowing across the hood and deflecting up over the windshield.
That's going to be the interesting one. I plan to go for a spin this weekend and test it out. Here's hoping it works as desired. I think so, since the final layout is somewhat similar to what my Camaro has - but the Camaro hood does have a semi-cowl induction lift to it there that will impact airflow in the section. I suppose I could try it with my industrial fan in the meantime lol.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,082 Posts
I don't know that having the washers close in like that will make much of a difference. It might simply mean it takes two swipes of the wipers to start clearing the windshield if there's any interference.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
Well, I got my new grill cut up for the Satoshi x Intake scoop setup and primed it along with the new bumper. Notice I'm painting the trim on the corner lights as well. Not sure why people always fail to do that.
20211120_213042 by Jose, on Flickr

I'm itching to get all these projects done so I can clean my garage of all this junk!
20211120_213035 by Jose, on Flickr

I did a quick test fit on the truck to see what the grill looks like. It's pretty funny looking like that lol.
20211118_203307 by Jose, on Flickr

20211118_203304 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
I hit everything up with a filler primer yesterday. The plan is to sand everything down today and start doing base coat/clear coat.

I actually painted these parts separately so I would have room to move them around and get good coverage. They are only together out there so they can dry.
20211123_154134 by Jose, on Flickr

401 - 414 of 414 Posts