I did some cleaning up of stray fibers and epoxy using a cut off wheel and sanding drum on my Dremel. From there, I sanded down the resin, cut new grooves in the wheel, and took off the excess carbon. Then, I wiped the wheel down with acetone and added another coat of epoxy.
Being happy with the appearance of the wheel, I went ahead and sanded all the carbon using 120 and then 200 grit. The idea here was to get all the contours even so I could see all the low spots. I got that done and will be dabbing a bit of resin into each low spot. From there, I will do another round of sanding, one thin application of resin, another round of sanding, and a final coating with automotive clear coat.
Here is what it looks like for now. All the shiny areas are low spots 20210913_183838 by Jose, on Flickr
While I was playing around with resin, I figured I would finally get around to filling in the steering wheel emblem I had made. I think it came out pretty good, but I will definitely make some process improvements before the next one I do.
I added too much heat into the batch of epoxy I was using to fill in low spots. Unfortunately, this means it started hardening as I was using it and it led to some waviness/high spots around the wheel. I mixed up another batch and used it on the smooth parts once the other stuff was dry. This will reduce how much I sand in order to even out those parts. Here it is as it sits now