Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

281 - 300 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
The driver's side ATS caliper was apparently already at an Amazon warehouse in Miami, so it arrived today. The rest of the gear is coming from farther away, so I'm not expecting it yet. I lined it up to the CTS-V caliper to do some comparison.

It is hard to tell, but the mounting holes are definitely a little further apart on the ATS caliper
20210524_215619 by Jose, on Flickr

The caliper body is also closer to the mounting holes as it is designed for a smaller diameter rotor
20210524_215650 by Jose, on Flickr

The CTS-V caliper has the holes themselves threaded whereas the ATS has threaded steel inserts in the bores
20210524_215724 by Jose, on Flickr

The CTS-V caliper also appears a smidge wider, I will measure them tomorrow to get accurate numbers
20210524_215931 by Jose, on Flickr

I also noticed the CTS-V caliper has much nicer, hollowed out pistons
20210524_215931 by Jose, on Flickr
20210524_220107 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
I had a rotor mounted on the passenger's side, so I placed the driver's side ATS caliper on that side to check out the fit. It looks great and sits proper. I can't wait to have these installed on the truck!
20210524_220800 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Now, there is no way something that says "Cadillac" is going to go on my truck as such. For this reason, I had to go ahead and paint the calipers. I used a combination of a high temp primer and a GM paint match silver to get the color I want.

Here is one caliper masked off. I used an exacto knife to get the edges cut just right
20210526_103408 by Jose, on Flickr

Both calipers ready to be sprayed
20210526_103610 by Jose, on Flickr

Progress so far

Driver side :
20210526_160559 by Jose, on Flickr
Passenger's side:
20210526_160600 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
The next part is to cut some Brembo logo stencils (using a sticker machine) and spray the logo on using red high temp paint. Once that's done, I can clear coat the entire caliper.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Here's a video explaining the process thus far. It covers the process of removing the stock rotors, installing the new ones, drilling the spindle, and test fitting the CTS-V caliper. I will follow up with how that failed in the next video, but this will give you a pretty solid understanding of the process.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
I held off on doing the Brembo logo for now and just clear coated the calipers. I then drilled my spindle holes out to 14mm for the M14 bolts the ATS caliper uses. Sure enough, I could not get them to mount. The reason for this is the ATS calipers DO line up to the CTS-V caliper and both have holes that are slightly closer together than the holes on the Tacoma's spindle. This means I ended up having to take a unibit and bore the holes out to about 11/16" in order to get the calipers to mount.

Here's the ATS caliper mounted up finally. All said and done, it fit nicely and sits where it is supposed to.
20210529_193312 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
I discovered a couple of things in the process of installing the stainless brake lines. First, I had overtightened the passenger's side line back when I did the Wilwood setup. For this reason, the tip of the fitting on the hard line that the flexible brake line connects to had flared. As a result of this, it would not fit into the new brake line no matter what I did. So, I ran out to Autozone and bought a 12" long, 3/16" diameter brake tube with M10x1.0 fittings. That store didn't have bending pliers in stock, so I ran out to another Autozone and got those today. I then bent a new line following the bends of the old one and installed it in the truck.

You can see it in this picture, it's the tube with the shiny fitting on the left side of the image
20210601_185609 by Jose, on Flickr

Here is where it connects to the new braided brake line... and yes, I do need new tie rod boots! Keep in mind there is a clip that will hold the large fitting on the braided brake line to the bracket coming off the frame. It is not on in the picture, but I installed it right after. The lines actually come with new clips.
20210601_185624 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 · (Edited)
The second thing I discovered is even worse; the fact that these brake lines are too long and using the supplied mounts to bolt them to the brackets on the control arm could lead to a situation where the brake line will fail over time. Take a look at the pictures below. You can see that at full steering lock toward the direction of the side the line is on, you can kink the bottom of the line.
20210601_193025 by Jose, on Flickr

It looks fine with the wheel turned away from the side the line is on (here is a picture of the passenger's side line with the wheel turned toward the left/driver's side). It's fine in this position, but can kink when turning in the opposite direction.
20210601_193121 by Jose, on Flickr

Stoptech makes a Tacoma specific braided brake line for these 2WD trucks. It is part number 950.4022 and is what we used back when we did my friend's Tacoma in the past. I have ordered a set of these just to be on the safe side. If you would rather spend some more coin and avoid literally all of these headaches, Stoptech makes a big brake kit for our trucks as well! It is part number 83.870.4600.71 but it is $2470.50 so I imagine only big ballers will ever have this on their Tacomas!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Another note. When you install the ATS calipers, you need a couple sets of washers. Per the no bracket big brake kit thread on here and Customtacos, you will need some washers for a 9/16" bolt and some for a 14mm bolt. The thread says the 9/16" go between the caliper and the spindle/knuckle and the 14mm go between the bolt head and knuckle. The 14mm washers I got are about 3.06mm thick and actually were the perfect size to go between the caliper and the knuckle. The 9/16" on the other hand required two to go between the bolt head and knuckle. I could have gotten away with just one, but the clearance between the bolt and the rotor would have been minimal and I fear they would contact when the rotor expands due to heat. For this reason, I think it would make sense to go with a 35mm long bolt instead of the 40mm recommended in the thread, as this would eliminate the need for washers. I used a flange head bolt so washers aren't a big concern.

14mm washer
20210602_124617 by Jose, on Flickr

9/16" washer X2
20210602_124441 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
While I wait on my new brake lines to arrive, I figured I would make some progress on the coilover fix.

I started by cutting two 20.5 mm tall sections out of a 1 1/4" galvanized steel nipple
20210602_173136 by Jose, on Flickr

These are the two pieces once cut and the edges ground down to remove the galvanize(makes it easier to weld)
20210602_181254 by Jose, on Flickr

Welding in that area is a pain because you can't get close enough to get a good view of your weld. To add to the problem, my welding mask was on the fritz and it finally gave up
on me. I still managed to weld the front of the pipe, but it isn't as pretty as I would have liked. Oh well, it's fairly solid. Looks like I'll be buying a new mask tomorrow. Ignore the
slag in front of the weld, I knocked that off later with a flat head screwdriver.
20210602_203931 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
In other news, the alcantara wrap I ordered from Redline Goods (back in March), finally came in. It looks to be better made than the leather one I got last time. Me being me, I already removed the leather from the IS300 steering wheel and started the process of wrapping it in the alcantara. They made a mistake in my order and added black stitching instead of charcoal, but that's actually ok by me. I still have charcoal string from the last wheel wrap, so I plan to do a two tone setup this time.

Fresh out of the package
20210602_210216 by Jose, on Flickr

Looks kind of rough around the edges
20210602_210220 by Jose, on Flickr

Black string I won't need, though I appreciate the pins to help poke holes in the alcantara
20210602_210223 by Jose, on Flickr

Charcoal/grey string for the win!
20210602_210244 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
While I was in the wheel well, there was no way I was going to just let the rust from my battery failure stay put. So, I put a wire brush in my drill and got to work removing rust from everywhere. It took several cycles of using and recharging my power drill batteries, but I was able to get the rust scrubbed from every last nook and cranny on the frame and engine bay. The battery tray area was particularly bad. I may remove that tray and develop a plastic replacement in the future.

Before
20210603_165720 by Jose, on Flickr

After scrubbing with wire brush and some coats of Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer.
20210603_210350 by Jose, on Flickr

Other stuff I touched up
20210603_210409 by Jose, on Flickr
20210604_103111 by Jose, on Flickr

I just added an extra coat of VHT roll bar and chassis black on all of it this morning. That will take it from this perfect satin black to a semi gloss, but it will still look nice and the rust protection is much improved with the extra coating.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Well, I was stitching away at my new alcantara steering wheel wrap when suddenly...the stitches popped like some cheap pepboys steering wrap. 2.5 months of waiting shot down the drain. They didn't leave enough material for the wrap to close around the wheel and so the stitching popped when I tried to get it to close. Redline's quality really has gone down the drain these past years. I really can't believe these are the same people who made my wrap from years ago (which worked perfectly).

Nowhere near enough material here
20210604_122028 by Jose, on Flickr

Popped string
20210604_122049 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Looking at it closely, a large part of the problem is the fact that they have sewn the tabs at the seams on top of each other instead of spread apart as you would normally see. This makes it difficult for the material to stretch and overcome the lack of extra material.
20210604_132738 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,909 Posts
Are you going to let them know it won't work?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Are you going to let them know it won't work?
Yes, I emailed them the details yesterday but as of yet, I have no response. We will see what they come back with. I may end up having to re-stitch this thing myself depending on their response.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
Well, the pipes are welded in, the rust proofing is done, the Tacoma specific stoptech brake lines are on, and the brakes are bled. The pedal feels rock solid and I am happy to finally be (almost) done with this project!

This upper pipe secures the bushing perfectly. I don't see the rod failure happening ever again.
20210604_185818 by Jose, on Flickr

I am quite happy with the Tacoma specific brake lines. At full lock in either direction and no kinking
20210605_125229 by Jose, on Flickr
20210605_125259 by Jose, on Flickr

While I was in there I discovered why my AC doesn't work. Looks like either the seals at the compressor are bad or the lines themselves are
20210605_141905 by Jose, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Here is the latest video update of where I was with the truck. I'll follow this up with a final video for the big brake series and then probably make a condensed version with just the necessary details.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Will be taking the truck for a spin soon. Excited to see what the Brembos bring to the table. Hopefully, the unsprung weight won't have increased too much.

281 - 300 of 308 Posts