Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Decided I was tired of pushing my ridiculously heavy clutch pedal and holding it down every single time I start the truck. So, I took the truck out of gear, crawled into the floor space and pushed down the button under the clutch pedal. Once I saw that I could turn the truck on whilst pushing this in, I knew what to bypass. In the Miata world, we have the bypass clip from Flying Miata that installs here and holds the button down. I considered designing one for the Tacoma, but I realized a simple zip tie would do the trick. Here is the completed bypass, it works like a charm.

DISCLAIMER: This modification makes it possible for you or someone else to inadvertently start the vehicle in gear. This could result in the vehicle crashing into people, buildings, pets, other vehicles, etc and result in serious injury or death. If you perform this mod, you do so at your own risk. I take ZERO responsibility for any harm or damage done by your vehicle and/or to your vehicle as a result of this mod.
CM0 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

On another note, how annoying is it that car manufacturers don't paint the metal that goes under the dash just because it isn't visible? I don't care if I can't see it, I DON'T want RUST in my car smh!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
My starter ended up sticking the other day. When I tried to turn the truck on, it was slow to crank and for whatever reason I turned it back to off and then on again. Well, the truck came on but my starter kept spinning. Turned it off and it kept spinning... so I disconnected the negative from the battery. At this point, I thought I had ruined the ignition cylinder, so I pulled it out and connected the negative again- starter kept spinning.

At this point, I realized it had to be the starter solenoid, so I fully disconnected the battery and pulled the starter. Sure enough, the shaft that holds the little sprocket and turns the flywheel was stuck out. I spun it and it popped back in. Put the starter back in and reassembled my dash. Truck started right up with no drama.

So, if this happens to you, just disconnect the battery and then pull the starter. Don't end up doing this lol, (even if it's easy for me at this point)
M11 by Jose Matos, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
With the coronavirus keeping everyone at home, I have finally found time to edit video and post on Youtube again! Here's the latest on the truck, I finally got around to installing the backup camera a few months back and I edited the video recently.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Part 2
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
I also had to change my alternator since my previous battery decided to spew acid on it and cook it. A true shame, since that alternator had been running faithfully since 1996 (it was the original alternator). I made sure to replace it with an identical unit from Denso (OEM Toyota).

·
Registered
142 Posts
That is a shame about your alt . My 99 tacomas alt is still in and I wonder when its going to die a natural death. 286 k on it . Amazing how long they last.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
That is a shame about your alt . My 99 tacomas alt is still in and I wonder when its going to die a natural death. 286 k on it . Amazing how long they last.
It may honestly last forever at this rate, just make sure your battery is in good shape lol. I plan to build a shield for my alternator. On another note, people can comment on build threads now! Sweet!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
I needed a better work space for modding and maintaining my Tacoma, Miata, and Camaro, so it was time to remodel the garage. I made good use of the free time generated by corona virus/kept myself from going nuts at home, by doing new lights, paint, and epoxy floors.

Here is part one

·
Registered
142 Posts
I cant believe you did not do that sooner. That garage has some great value . I did mine last year and I love it, Especially good lighting , and the possibility of a window unit AC for Florida summers. Ready to see the finish. I like xylene based stain for the floor . easier to work with and costs less.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Here is part 2 of my garage remodel. It consists of prep work needed before painting, such as floor etching and removal of appliances.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Here is part 3 of my garage remodel. I got the masking done and began the process of painting, touchups, mounting the attic frame, and coating the floors with 1 part epoxy.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
I cant believe you did not do that sooner. That garage has some great value . I did mine last year and I love it, Especially good lighting , and the possibility of a window unit AC for Florida summers. Ready to see the finish. I like xylene based stain for the floor . easier to work with and costs less.
Unfortunately, getting married and buying a house/updating the inside of the house took financial priority. However, after a year of living here, I sold off my Volk TE37s and they paid for the entire garage remodel. I plan to add an insulation kit to the garage door and possibly add ac down the line.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Here is part 4 of my garage remodel.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Glad you got a house. Very important part of life financially . I remember years ago you did all the truck work on crushed shell.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Quick update on next phases for the garage project

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Glad you got a house. Very important part of life financially . I remember years ago you did all the truck work on crushed shell.
Thanks! Yes, this has been a massive upgrade.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Got my tool drawer and 3D Printer in. Back in business!

201 - 217 of 217 Posts