Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas, since i put MAD BALLZ into my truck, i have had mad problems with axle wrap. not to the point of wheel hop, thanks to KYB shocks, but i'm sure it's playing hell on my u-joints. i'm running a 4" block out back, and DO NOT want to completely convert to 4-link with bags and a bridge. i've done that, and i want to keep the leafs in this truck since it's build for speed and handling, not dragging. so i think i'm gonna put 2 rearward links on it where the spare tire used to go, and a panhard bar to help the handling. i don't want to move my gas tank, and have all the room in the world out behind the axle. the part i need help with, however, is the pinion snubber. has anyone here run a snubber on these trucks? and where can i get a universal, weld-on pinion snubber?

thanks in advance,
-will

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Technically the 2link should be sufficient enough. They'll move up and down freely while adding to keep the axle from yaw movement. I think the panhard bar is going to possibly produce a bind at certain points or not allow full use of your leaf springs.

Reason is, the panhard only really lets the axle move in an arc from wherever the pivot point is. The leaf springs are designed only for vertical movement, not any sort of lateral movement that the panhard would induce above and below your ride height.

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are rearward links ok? i know a lot of people seem to think they suck, but from a strictly engineering standpoint, they to the exact same think and do the same job at it.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Two links or a wishbone triangular link from the pumpkin to the frame rails should suffice. A lot of the more intelligent leaf-sprung-long-travel-off-road guys (7s/8s/1450) run similar setups; they work really well. There was a writeup on Race-Dezert.com awhile back on the proper way to cycle / set up a wish bone track bar but I'm not having any luck finding it... search the forums over there if you want, though it's pretty straight forward. Like you said, forward or backward, they will serve the same purpose as long as they are set up correctly.

Also, ditching the blocks and getting a good leaf pack may help. :waytogo:

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Hey, I just saw something in a thread called "looking for tacoma pictures", post # 69 has a link from Chris D. that has a rear axle-wrap devise you might wanna checkout, it tucks pretty nice. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
thats the URD traction bar for the s-runner. although i heard that you can order one for the 2rz std. cabs with the 7.5" diff.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Get good leafs and your axle wrap will be gone .A good leaf spring company [Alcan is what I have] will have a double front eye spring wrap and the front spring is used like a trailing arm and the rear part of the spring is the spring .Also they come with all poly bushings .Mine have 8 leaf springs at 2/3mm thick.A 3 inch drop. 320 lbs spring rate. No blocks .The panhard bar will go in my truck at some point.I'll have to make it. I have a stock engine and a posi and have dumped the clutch at 5+ grand with no wheel hop at all.It also makes the truck handle alot better.Mine cost 225 each + shipping.Well worth it.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
In addition to the URD traction bar, you might want to flip the overload leaf so that it will actually engage before the axle hits the frame and boost you spring rate a bit.

Tim

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my overload spring is long gone, and i don't want to mess with the spring rate, plus i dont have a bo-zillion dollare burning a hole in my pocket, so i don't think a whole new spring setup is feasible. that's why i'm to this point. SOOOOOOOOOOO...............my next research project it to see if i can squeeze a set of ladder style traction bars outboard of the frame. this way i won't need a pinion snubber because the axle won't pitch. AND if i put a turnbuckle it it, or maybe two adjustable heim joints, i can preload the springs, and even compensate for changes in driveshaft angle due to suspension travel. it seems this is turning into quite a project, but if it works, i'll be able to run some sweet drag radials, or full slicks without risking breaking springs. i'll just have to put tbhis one on the ol' back burner till i give some other projects wings.

thanks a bunch homies!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know this thread is about a month old but in case you haven't found the setup your looking for I thought I'd chime in.

Ive got a set of Hellwig helper springs on my truck, without them I was getting alot of hop on launches and when hitting 2nd gear. Now the back end barely drops when I launch and tires stay planted even when hitting 2nd.

here is a link to what i have so u can see what i'm talking about:
http://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/helpersprings/ezlevel/default.asp

oh yeah, you can get a pair for $60

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
those 4" blocks will give you axle wrap. id try the trac bars with pre-runner leafs overload and everything and if its not low enough you can add a 1 or 2" block

1 - 15 of 15 Posts