Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I have a reason that I'd want to lower a prerunner: Yoiu can get a prerunner in a double-cab..can't get THAT with the 2wd.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Yah, Jeff, that's a good arguement - a dropped dub cab would be quite nice. But it looks like our friend here has an ex cab...

The best way to get a lowered Prerunner???
heheh... trade it in for a 2wd non-prerunner. By the way - I know where you can get one that's already bagged and everything LOL! (my old truck is still for sale at the dealer where I traded it in for my double cab):

Seriously, tho... I can't say that the thought hasn't crossed my mind. I guess it's just in my blood. After running around in lowriders half my driving life, I must say that I don't miss it now that I've gotten used to my new altitude.
I definitely wouldn't recommend lowering your Prerunner unless you've just got it set in your mind. I can't say that I've ever heard of it done - you might try to find some fellas who have done it to a 4Runner, but I wouldn't expect it to be more than 1 or 2 inches of lowering.

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
You could always go buy a junkyard 2wd rolling chassis and bolt it to your truck. Same goes for lowering a doublecab.

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Yeah man, a full dropped dub-cab would look SO SWEET!! wish they had one for the 2wd, I'd trade my x-cab for one in a second!

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
My double cab is a 2wd (prerunner) and it looks to me like the chassis is nearly identical to the regular 2wd models except for the front suspension components.
I don't see why it wouldn't work.
:D heheh

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Man, that would be so smooth, look like a dropped taco limo or something rollin down the street on some 20s, ahhhhh....

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
I said before that they are 2wd chassis with 4x4 suspension... but I think I was wrong.
I crawled under it and it has the same chassis as the 4x4, just without the transfer case and all the 4x4 components. It has that monsterous crossmember hanging down in the middle where the transfer case usually mounts. It looks kinda dumb, because there's nothing mounted to it - it is just hanging there.
From the tranny back, the frame is identical on all tacomas. (My double cab is the same as the extended cabs) The only difference is the rear suspension, but that can be swapped out real easy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts