Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

lower window trim???

28K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Enola Gaia 
#1 ·
Any of you guys have problems with the lower window trim piece?? Mine is cracking and exposing the silver/chrome underside and I was wondering how you guys fixed it (paint or replace?). I would like to replace it if it's not too big of a job. Any help would be appreciated. Mahalo

#2 ·
I'll try to post a pic up of the area as soon as our little storm passes and weather clears up

#3 ·
I'm not 100% clear what piece you're referring to ... The trim / moulding where the window enters the door frame?

#4 ·
yea...I can't post pics right now.....the part where if you were to roll down the window and rest your arm...you would be on it...

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
finally got around to post some pics. Its been like this for at least 5-6 years...untill recently only the back rear pass. window had it but i started to notice it on all the windows...just was wondering how people over came this problem....

Attachments

#10 ·
That what I want to do...I want to replace all of them...don't really want to pant them...you think I would have to remove the interior panel to remove the out side window trim???

Does any one know what the piece is called or part number???or an online site that people have ordered toyota parts from???

#13 ·
I have the exact same issue and haven't decided what to do. I really want to replace with new and just haven't gotten around to it. I've found some links that I thought I could figure it out from.

Let me know how it goes, hope these help.
Mine is like oxidation or something on my Tacoma. I have a 2007. Does anyone have a repair manual like the one above for an 07 Generation Tacoma?

#12 ·
That's a good question...but the window trim isn't painted...at least not with regular paint...it's seem to be more plastic-rubber-ish to me...

#14 ·
Ok, I found an FSM for the 07 Tacoma and looked at the page on replacing the trim. It's actually called the "Front Door Belt Moulding", and yes, it does show that you have to completely remove the inside door panel. Not sure I understand why either. I'm really hoping someone out there has done this DIY and can give some guidence. I don't see why you would possible need to remove the inside door panel. To me it looks like you just need to remove the driver side mirror and just lift the old belt moulding up and replace it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jmeetze

#15 ·
Here (attached) is the outside window weatherstrip replacement procedure from the FSM. It does specifically tell you to remove the interior trim (sail panel), the handle and interior door panel, and outside rearview mirror before removing the weatherstrip.

I'm not sure either why it's necessary to remove the interior door panel. None of the exploded components diagrams show the weatherstripping as being fastened through the panel or using any of the panel's own fasteners. One might wonder if maybe it's necessary to get at the fastener clips from the inside, but the removal procedure doesn't mention any such thing.

Attachments

#16 ·
Here (attached) is the outside window weatherstrip replacement procedure from the FSM. It does specifically tell you to remove the interior trim (sail panel), the handle and interior door panel, and outside rearview mirror before removing the weatherstrip.

I'm not sure either why it's necessary to remove the interior door panel. None of the exploded components diagrams show the weatherstripping as being fastened through the panel or using any of the panel's own fasteners. One might wonder if maybe it's necessary to get at the fastener clips from the inside, but the removal procedure doesn't mention any such thing.
thanks man. Well I'm still waiting on Toyota to get the part in. The way the call it a belt, I'm wonderig if it's the entire rubber weatherstrip around the whole window.

#17 · (Edited)
I pulled mine off, lightly sanded, painted them black and clearcoated. I did not however pull the inside door panel off though. Mine werent showing through to the chrome though. They just looked like ****e after 10 years. It is indeed some sort of rubber/plastic-ish material. Sorry for the crappy pics, and they're pretty dirty but they actually look damn good when clean and in person.

Attachments

#19 ·
... The procedure you posted Randy, is that the same for the 1st gen trucks also:shrug:
Pretty much ...

Here (attached) is the front door disassembly procedure from the 2000 FSM. Like the 2005+ version, it instructs you to remove the interior door panel and rearview mirror before removing the weatherstrip.

Like the 2005+ version, I'm not sure why, and I'm not certain you have to do all that just to remove the weatherstrip.

Attachments

#21 ·
Any online vendor specializing in Toyota factory parts (e.g., ToyotaPartsZone) might list / offer them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.