Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any ideas of dropping the front of a prerunner,just got done doing the flip kit,took it to a custom shop to get shocks relocated and wanted to get rid of the little lean it has,thanks.

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,195 Posts
Springs on the coils (shorter or softer)
May be able to swap to 05 and newer struts but unsure if the bolt spacing is same. That's a @Enola Gaia question for sure

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
Clues, please ...

What are the specifics on your PreRunner? (Year, etc.)

Exactly what "flip kit" is it you've had installed, which shocks were relocated, and how were they relocated?

What is it about your Taco's stance this "flip kit" did? Raise? Lower? How much?

This "lean" ... Are you talking about the usual "Taco lean" (driver versus passenger side)? Since you're asking about dropping the front, I'm not sure whether you're concerned about side-to-side or front / rear "lean."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clues, please ...

What are the specifics on your PreRunner? (Year, etc.)

Exactly what "flip kit" is it you've had installed, which shocks were relocated, and how were they relocated?

What is it about your Taco's stance this "flip kit" did? Raise? Lower? How much?

This "lean" ... Are you talking about the usual "Taco lean" (driver versus passenger side)? Since you're asking about dropping the front, I'm not sure whether you're concerned about side-to-side or front / rear "lean."
its a 2002 prerunner with the v6,since no rear drop kits were found i had to resort to a drop kit that had no mount for the rear shocks,took it to a shop that fabricated new mounts for the shocks and installed them.The drop kit flip kit did about 5 inches of drop,the lean i was talking about is the front being a lighter higher than the rear and i am looking for a way to get the front leveled with the rear

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
The first problem is figuring out whether you can get a roughly 4 - 5 inch drop on a 6-lug front suspension setup without resorting to custom work and / or surgery.

The 6-lug suspension setup on 4WDs and PreRunners is different from the 5-lug ('mini') setup.

Radical drops on 6-lug 1995.5 - 2004 Tacos are few and far between, and all the ones I've seen have involved custom / surgical work.

In stock form the rear should have been sitting circa 0.5" - 1.0" higher than the front. If you got a full 5" drop from the rear mods, that means you'd probably be looking to get 4.0" - 4.5" of drop on the front to be level.

One of the first things to do is to make some good precise measurements to see exactly how much front drop you need to get leveled.

I don't think you can get that much drop with softer coils - I think you're definitely looking at shorter coils. In turn, this will probably require non-stock shocks of a shorter length, too.

I have no idea how much (if any) modification or replacement might have to be done on the control arm(s) and / or ball joints.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
... May be able to swap to 05 and newer struts but unsure if the bolt spacing is same. That's a @Enola Gaia question for sure
Nope, sorry ... I have no way of comparing the bolt spacings between the 2 generations' struts. If I had to guess, I'd guess they're not the same.

Reactions: pimpRunner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts