Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was growing up and just becoming a car guy in the sixties, cars brands had affectionate nicknames to describe them, often based on the shape or color of the manufacturer's company logo. I had my favorite; I was a Bowtie guy, meaning I was a Chevy fan. Chevrolet's corporate logo, imprinted on fender badges and hood and trunk-lid badges, looks sorta like a blue bowtie, so that's the handle Chevy became associated with. Ford's were called Blue Ovals -- the shape and color of Ford's logo, Pontiacs were Tin Indians, etc.

I propose a nickname for our Toys because we ain't got one unless, come to think of it, it's "Toys." How about Tri-Oval, which is what makes up the Toyota logo of intertwined letters? Maybe people aren't as loyal to a brand as they were when I adopted Chevy as my favorite car maker. I'd argue any time with Blue Oval fans in school that Bowties were better. Ford's first production V-8 came out in the '32 as a 221 flathead. Chevy's first V-8 came out in 1917 as an overhead valve 288. As our president would say, a lot of people don't know that.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,592 Posts
I recall reading years ago that many people thought the Toyota logo represented a bull, because it looked like the central oval had horns.

I've also known people to joke it looks like a head wearing a cowboy hat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts