Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
damn
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after i pay off my credit card im thinking of putting a simple locker in the rear. Any opinions?:shrug: what does everyone have?

·
damn
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
id like to do both actually..Dont wheel it hard enough to need a ton of offroad traction. Would love to hook up on the street thou

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
Lockers are clearly the best for off road. On my off road truck I use the ARB air locker which is controlled by a switch and it is instant on and instant off.

On all my on road vehicles I have the TrueTrac installed.

The TrueTrac is wonderfull, but off road as soon as you get one rear wheel off the ground it is no good like the rest of the LSDs out there. Although a lot of people use the TrueTrac off road.

I think you need to decide where you want the most benifit on or off road. If ti is on road then go TrueTrac. If off road then go for a locker. Auto lockers can be a pain on road so keep that in mind.

Gadget

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have a 2 wd and put a lock right in.It was about 265$. This is the one that makes a clicking noise when you turn and also doesn't like to make sharp u turns, jumps and binds.But it gets 100 % lock up with just a little throttle and no wheel spin out of turns .It takes a little practice driving to get used to it.What ever you decide, get it installed by someone who knows how to do it.Randy's ring and pinion is where I got mine 1 800 347 1188.

·
damn
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in talking to a friend of mine today, he suggested a lunchbox locker. Thoughts? Im not really looking to drop a TON of change on this thing (like a air locker)..im looking at like the 2-300$ price range. Just something that will hook nice on the street and grip in the dirt as well.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
well , i have the trd lsd, it works great as long as both wheels are on the ground, true trac work great also maybe better.

id u drive your truck as a daily are u shurt u want a locker?

·
damn
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well...i dont wheel my truck hard enough to worry about having a wheel off the ground. The only reason I ask is because in the past few days ive been searching for some new deer stand spots, and to get me close to them i have to go throu some super sugar sand and i almost didnt make it yesterday..i had the insane one wheel peel goin on(not in 4x4)

So, in a nutshell. I want a locker mostly for the street, but will hook me up with both tires incase i get into some soft sand/mud.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the Powertrax No-Slip ($400)in my old Land Cruiser and it works great. I rarely need 4wd anymore. No clicking in turns and has only banged hard one time in reverse in a tight turn. The only time you feel it on road is if you hit the gas hard and it will lurch to the right or left. All auto lockers do that, you just gotta get used to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts