Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just recently found this forum and have been reading and learning alot, but havent really found what the difference between the topic I put is. What are the differences and are there any advantages over the other? I was just curious about it because I am interested in a 05 dub cab and they usually have one of those installed.

·
Registered
723 Posts
yeah pretty much what he said the LSD activates everytime you push the gas.. Locker activates with the MAGIC BUTTON. umm correct me if im wrong but i think the displacement of power with lsd is somewhere around 60% and 40% ..60% going to the tires with less traction. Locker put power to the wheel with no traction im not to sure but i think im close. correct me if im wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
LSD kicks in when one tire is slipping...as opposed to a locker which locks the differential so equal power is given to both wheels...you have to turn the locker on/off.....LSD is always there and you won't notice it driving around under normal street conditions...

There are aftermarket lockers that work different....however the ones you are asking about work like I mentioned above

·
Registered
108 Posts
A limited slip will either use gears or clutch packs to allow your rear tires to turn independently of each other but when you give it gas and one tire starts to spin, it will apply ~60% toque to the wheel that is spinning and ~40% to the wheel that is not spinning. A limited slip works well for street driving because when your wheel starts to slip, it will apply ~40% to the other tire to help you keep your forward motion. Limited slips are not the best for off-roading though because your one tire needs to spin so much for the gear type limited slip to apply torque to the other wheel and the clutch type can’t apply large amounts of torque to turn the other wheel. For a locker, you have automatic and manual lockers and they lock the rear tires together so they can not turn independently of each other. Automatic lockers allow the tire to turn independently when no gas is applied then completely locks when torque is applied to the locker. Then the manual locker is what Toyota has and it has a switch that you engage when you do not want your tires to spin independently of each other. So get the locker if you are going to go off-roading and the limited slip if it is just for the street.

·
Registered
162 Posts
One more thing I'd like to add: LSD's wear out eventually and Electronic Lockers do not, as fas as I know. I have had a LOT of vehicles with LSD and after a certain amount of lifetime (depends on abuse) the viscous couplings and/or clutch packs wear out and do not work as well or not at all. The electronic locker rocks for offroad, but for on road you can't beat a good fresh LSD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, thanks for the info guys. Looks like i dont need the electronic locker. Gonna use the truck mainly for onroad use.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Concerning the Locker actuator...Is that bolted on the differential, or is it actually inside the differential? My truck does not have the Locker, however, the wiring harness is there. Do I just need to buy the dash switch? It does have LSD:shrug:

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,647 Posts
... My truck does not have the Locker, however, the wiring harness is there. Do I just need to buy the dash switch? It does have LSD:shrug:
Do you have a 'TRD Sport Package' Taco (which should mean you have an actual limited-slip differential), or do you have a dash switch labeled 'Auto LSD'?

If you have the 'Auto LSD' feature, this isn't actually a limited-slip differential. It's a system that jukes the brakes to simulate the effect of having a limited-slip differential, and it is a part of certain optional Vehicle Stability Control / Traction Control packages.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Enola Gaia, thanks for clearing that up. I have the dash button for a Auto LSD/ VSC on my '07 4x4 double cab and I could never figure out by reading the manual whether it was a legitimate LSD or a substitute. Can you tell me anything about its performance in comparison to a real LSD or a locker?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,647 Posts
... Can you tell me anything about its performance in comparison to a real LSD or a locker?
I'm more or less in the dark on this simulated LSD function ... :shrug:

First off - I don't see any way it can literally simulate a locker (i.e., put both wheels into absolute 'lock step') just by manipulating the brakes.

As to how close it is to a 'real' LSD ... I've never been able to convince myself about that.

A 'real' limited-slip differential controls the relative difference between rear wheels' rpm's (i.e., relative 'slip' of one wheel versus the other) by negotiating the degree of powerline engagement to one wheel versus the other (using clutches or variable gear engagement). In other words - in a 'real' LSD the relative 'slip' is interrelated with the relative 'power' fed to each of the wheels.

If this 'Auto LSD' is simply manipulating the rear brakes, I can see how it's having an effect on keeping the relative 'slip' between the wheels within a certain range. What I *don't* see is how it can have any effect on the proportional driveline engagement (and hence the proportional 'power feed') to one wheel versus the other.

Maybe I'm not grasping something about the point of it ... :shrug:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, both wheels may have matching rpm's, however no power is transfered in any way, what good is this option???

·
Registered
93 Posts
I realize this thread is super old, but I thought I might add my two cents to anyone who stumbles across it.

If that system you were discussing is able to actuate the left or right side brake independently, it could use the brake to stop one wheel from slipping, thus sending the majority of the power to the wheel with better grip.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
I realize this thread is super old, but I thought I might add my two cents to anyone who stumbles across it.

If that system you were discussing is able to actuate the left or right side brake independently, it could use the brake to stop one wheel from slipping, thus sending the majority of the power to the wheel with better grip.
So lets put some power to the ground using our brakes..
sounds legit.. :surprise

Thats VW traction control garbage..

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,647 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts