Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I went off roading at night for the first time this weekend and noticed immediatly that the stock lights SUCK ASS!!!!

Geez, the high beam looks dimmer than the low beam with the fog lights on, it really blows, or sucks, take your pic.

Anyway, I need more that what stock offers. Will a change of bulbs be of any significance? I am looking at some auxilary lights, I want to maintain a civilized look, so no full-on light bar for me, but looking at a couple in the grill.

So, who makes em, who makes em best, and where can I get some super bright lights, preferably in kit form, as I would like bolt on, plug-n-play.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I've got 2 Hella BlackMagic's on the front of my 4x4..(55-watt, can always go to 100-watt bulbs) the kit cost $220.00..pricey but worth it, I don't go super fast at night, they were all i needed. But I never seem satisfied, wish I would've saved for the even brighter higher end ones...check out the Hellas on their website..order them from 4-wheel parts or offroadwherehouse.

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Changing lightbulbs to high output bulbs will help with brightness, but you'll have problems with extra heat being generated in the wiring and the harness. It may burn the plastics in the head light assembly as well.

The best way to add more light is by putting auxilary lights up front.

The only light bar that I've found that isn't so intrusive to the eye (and isn't so expensive) is made by Randy Ellis Design. Here's some info for the bar for your truck: http://www.randyellisdesign.com/2005%20Toyota%20Tacoma%20light%20bar/

You obviously don't need to put 4 lights on there. 3, or 2, if you wish, would be just enough to give you more forward projecting lights.

As to brands of lights, research them, and ask the folks here. For the most part, it's a matter of personal opinion. Auxilary lights are bolt on, but you'll have to do some wiring. Depending on how many lights you're putting in, it'll take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours installing. It's relatively easy.

Also, tell us what type of driving you do, because that will also determine what types of lights will be adequate/suitable for you. Maybe you really don't need a light bar like this.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Tred said:
5000 or 4000?
im not sure but my friend gots three on his land cruiser and they were like 20,000k they evan have corner lights, go to hellas web site but they are like $500 a piece

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Tred said:
Changing lightbulbs to high output bulbs will help with brightness, but you'll have problems with extra heat being generated in the wiring and the harness. It may burn the plastics in the head light assembly as well.

The only light bar that I've found that isn't so intrusive to the eye (and isn't so expensive) is made by Randy Ellis Design. Here's some info for the bar for your truck: http://www.randyellisdesign.com/2005%20Toyota%20Tacoma%20light%20bar/

You obviously don't need to put 4 lights on there. 3, or 2, if you wish, would be just enough to give you more forward projecting lights.

As to brands of lights, research them, and ask the folks here. For the most part, it's a matter of personal opinion. Auxilary lights are bolt on, but you'll have to do some wiring. Depending on how many lights you're putting in, it'll take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours installing. It's relatively easy.

Also, tell us what type of driving you do, because that will also determine what types of lights will be adequate/suitable for you. Maybe you really don't need a light bar like this.
Actually, that is EXACTLLY what I was looking for, I like that alot.

I have no problems wiring, or installing, I just meant a kit that included everything such as wiring, fuses/boxes, relays, brackets...

The type of driving I do?..

My night vision sucks, so anything will be better than stock, I like to do some fairly high speen driving, 50-70 mph.

I found some Hella Rallye 4000 Xenon lights which look ideal. I saw the different beam paterns and if going with 4 lights will make my night driving ideal, then that is what I will do. Maybe the two inner lights having the pencil beam 15 degrees, with the two ouer lights having the 35-45 degree beams?

Not sure, but looking around and gladly accepting opinions/suggestions.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Tillers_Rule said:
Actually, that is EXACTLLY what I was looking for, I like that alot.

I have no problems wiring, or installing, I just meant a kit that included everything such as wiring, fuses/boxes, relays, brackets...

The type of driving I do?..

My night vision sucks, so anything will be better than stock, I like to do some fairly high speen driving, 50-70 mph.

I found some Hella Rallye 4000 Xenon lights which look ideal. I saw the different beam paterns and if going with 4 lights will make my night driving ideal, then that is what I will do. Maybe the two inner lights having the pencil beam 15 degrees, with the two ouer lights having the 35-45 degree beams?

Not sure, but looking around and gladly accepting opinions/suggestions.
boy:cool: you bota spend some $$$$

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
h2oplaydamian said:
boy:cool: you bota spend some $$$$
ROFL.

Damn, 50-70 MPH driving off road?? I just did 42 MPH average on one of my favorite Forest Service roads here, and me and my friend about crapped our pants.

If your budget allows, Hella 4000 HID are the ones I'd recommend. Lots of Disco owners have Hella 4000s. Some people get the non-HID models, and put HID bulbs in there, but I'd personally rather do it right, especially if I had the money. I'm not even sure if the reflector design is the same between the HID and Halogen models. If you're going to put 4 lights on the RED bar, I'd do what you said too: two narrow beams and two wide beams. You could always start with just two narrow beams, and get wide beams later too, or vice versa.

One thing to consider though, especially because of how damn expensive these things are, is theft. Is it a smart thing to have $3,000 worth of equipment sitting on your truck where you live and where you park your truck regularly? Usually not. There's a couple things you can do to make it harder for thieves to take them, but it still can be stolen with the right tools.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Tred said:

Nice! really nice set up :waytogo:

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tred said:
ROFL.

Damn, 50-70 MPH driving off road?? I just did 42 MPH average on one of my favorite Forest Service roads here, and me and my friend about crapped our pants. .
That 50-70 isn't on forest service roads though. It's on open dirt roads in the desert, with a clear view for miles, in the day time. I probably wont be doing that speed at night, so not sure why I said that.:confused:

Tred said:
Is it a smart thing to have $3,000 worth of equipment sitting on your truck where you live and where you park your truck regularly? .
Good point to consider, but I won't be spending nearly that much.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Tred, which one is that again? It's almost what i want, the main reason i don't like that lightbar is because how low it is, and how the ends are curved. I was thinking more of something like the one fabtech offers, but to fit our trucks specifically. They don't bend the shape of the bumper and stick out too far on the edges

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Tillers_Rule said:
Good point to consider, but I won't be spending nearly that much.
I say this because that's how much you will spend with 4 Hella 4000 HIDs and the light bar, unless if you have connections.... :thinking:

Bazzy that's the Randy Ellis Design light bar for Tacoma 2001-2004. It can be found on RED's website. For me, the curve matches the curves of the truck and the front end, so I like it. This bar does look like it sticks out a bit, but it's very close to the bumper. It does give you less aproach angle though, if you do rock crawling.

·
Registered
373 Posts
in addition to good light choices, the switch hardware and relays are important as well. When i bought my hella 550 we were driving up a lonely stretch of 395 to mammoth i ran my lights and when we got closer to town i tried switching them off. One pair shut off the 2nd pair didnt the dam relay was stuck in the ON position! I was so pissed i had to pop the hood and yank the lead out to kill the light. Make sure your relays are high quality!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts