Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just got a 4x4 crew cab 2001 tacoma yesterday...its beautiful. I want to lift it however i need something i can do myself and i was hoping for something i could add onto in the future. After readying the sticky note about suspension i was thinking new rear struts and shackles..possibly add a leafs to and front coil overs. I dont want something that will perform better offroad but i dont like the idea of a bodylift because it can cause damage. I am looking to lift my truck a decent amount...maybe 4-6 inchs but i dont have the money for a full kit right now so i figured i could start with the other stuff im gonna need and add on later. Im looking to spend about a grand on everything. Help me out guys im new to this stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Only way to get the 4-6 inches of lift you are wanting is with a spacer and bodylift combo. Since you already said no no to the bodylift....I dont know what to tell you. Lifting a truck properly cost money. Do it right the first time or dont do it at all. Remember tires and wheels as well. Save you $$$ and do lots of research on CT. Good luck

Oh yeah....welcome

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info man, right now im looking at...coilovers, rear shackles and leaf pack and a diff drop. I dont like that the "OME" sprigs can sag over time or i might try them out. I dont know just trying to get some opinions and recommendations right now.

·
Premium Member
9,445 Posts
dont forget too that a bigger lift will want bigger tires which will want regearing... more $$$ to shell out...

for under a grand for front and rear, you are probably limited to coil spacers up front with new shocks and i vote you go with non TRD coils, and for the rear, if not looking for offroad performance, then shackles and longer travel rear shocks should suffice, and with a max lift of 3" with that setup, you can run 33" tires all around...

if you have a grand now, then i say you save up another 600 bux and go for coilovers up front and deaver 8 leaf pack in rear...

·
Registered
186 Posts
For a grand, your limited to 3" spacers up front. You can do a full 3" leaf pack for the rear and stay under 1000 with the spacers. I would wait another $500 though and go with the pack in the back with adjustable coil-overs up front. You can always add a drop braket lift to that set-up when you're ready to go 6".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So coilovers up front and a deaver full leaf pack for the rear with a diff drop...sounds like a plan. I am looking for performance offroad but i dont want to make the ride quality any worse on road....with that said what brand of coilovers would be the best bang for my buck?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well initally i wasnt interested in a body lift because of the potential damage that can becaused. I was also looking for something that will perform better then stock both onroad and off. I mean the stock ride quality isnt bad but there is definatly room for improvement.

·
Premium Member
9,445 Posts
1FineTaco said:
Well initally i wasnt interested in a body lift because of the potential damage that can becaused. I was also looking for something that will perform better then stock both onroad and off. I mean the stock ride quality isnt bad but there is definatly room for improvement.
body lift wont improve stock suspension as it has nothing to do with the suspension... you want to look into a suspension lift... the sticky at the top of the suspension forum should be a good start...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MikesDoubleCab said:
body lift wont improve stock suspension as it has nothing to do with the suspension... you want to look into a suspension lift... the sticky at the top of the suspension forum should be a good start...
Already been on that sticky like ten times and i never even suggested i wanted a body lift ... thanks for all the help though:waytogo: I think im gonna go with camburg coilovers up front a deaver leaf pack in the back... i think someone else recommended an 8 leaf, a diff drop to save my cv joints abnd whatever else will get messed up i dont do it and new bilstein rear shocks. And unless i left anything out ( feel free to jump in and let me know) I just have one more question... aftermarket upper a arms only are used to increase suspension travel? right? .....I mean thats just what ive picked up about them from reading other threads do they better ride quality at all or anything else?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
MikesDoubleCab said:
SAWs are reasonably priced and should do the trick... a bunch of us here are running donahoes, but that will run ya about 975 bux and then figure another 400 for deaver 8 leaf packs and another 200 for 5100s or a little more for 5150s... well worth the money though in durability
x2

Happy Belated B-day mike!

·
Stop Staring
5,744 Posts
fabtech 6"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts