Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey guys, I have been asked a few questions on the 1uz swap into my Aussie spec Hilux. So here goes.

My truck was running the 3rz prior to the swap. I have a mate who is running the 1uz in a gen2 4Runner. After hearing this thing and taking it for a drive my mind was made up.

The 1uz is a all alloy quad cam 4litre V8 and is available in a few different vehicles soarer/sc400 to name a couple. The engine makes 195Kw standard. If anyone is considering the swap the best place for info I have found is www.lextreme.com.
There is a wealth of information there with a really diverse range of engine applications.

Anyway back to my swap. Obviously first thing was to remove the 3RZ.

There are bellhousing adapters available to suit most toyota gearboxes.
Castlemaine rod shop (www.rodshop.com.au) and Dellows both make bellhousing kits to suit. While I was doing the swap I removed the W56 and replaced it with a R151f due to strength concerns relating to the w56.

Depending what vehicle you have will determine where the engine sits, in mine the engine has been moved forward 10mm from the factory location. The gen 2 4Runners require the motor to be moved rearward 35mm. I have not had to modify any driveshafts or gearbox locations at all. I would however recommend massaging the firewall slightly to avoid moving the engine forward. This pic shows how close mine is.

For engine mounts there are no kits available. What has been done for mine is to reuse the original Lexus mounts and make up a adapter to suit.

The biggest problem is the headers I have used stck crown headers however these are not a real good design. I would suggest a custom made set, I have a set on my to do list.

These motors come in 3 sump styles front middle and rear. I have fitted a front sump to mine.

At the end of the day I am very happy with the end result power wise. I will be redoing a lot of my engine bay as it is not as tidy as I would like. I will also be getting a custom airbox made to replace the pod filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here is a pic of my engine bay with the 3rz fitted.

In my opinion the 1uz looks more factory and looks like it belongs there.

The dyno report for the vehicle was down a little on what it was hoped this has been put down to a conservative dyno and the factory headers.

The power is down on what we had hoped however the tune has been setup for 4wding more so than outright power as can be seen by the flat torque curve. This report was also done on 33s running 4.3 diff gears which put the speedo etc out by around 25% at 100km/h

To give you an idea of the power the vehicle has to standard with the 4.3 diff gears and 33s it would smoke the 33s right through 3rd gear and chirp 4th. However after 3 days the rear diff looked like this.

So it has now been replaced with 4.88 diff gears and the tyres replaced with 35s. I am planning a power run on another dyno with road tyres in the near future as I would like to do a pre headers and post headers run.

Anyway I hope this helps anyone who may be interested in the swap and feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer. At this point in time I have 3 mates running these in a 4 runners and one fitting one into a bundeera at the moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
what kind of fuel mileage did you end up with, just out of curiosity....I would LOVE to do this when my engine goes. And I'm guessing you used stock tranny and driveshaft?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh mate R151f box and transfer mine is out of a import surf but they came in most of the V6 trucks I believe. Fuel wise mine seems to average around the 14mi/gal in your terms I think (16L/100Km). Having said that though I am yet to actually use a full tank without driving like a tool at some point. The best a mate has gotten out of his running 35s and plenty of lift is 19mi/gal. My 3rz wasnt much more frugal and had nowhere near the fun factor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daveowen said:
how comes its only 170 hp. I'd think it would be alot higher?
Yeh mate it is a little low we were hoping for 230+ but all we can put it down to is the dyno and tyres and gearing. The offroad tyres were spraying rubber all over the back wall of the dyno so that couldnt have helped. My mate with one in a runner with stock ecu has run 200 at the wheels, but it was a dyno that bolts to the hubs so less resistance. He has driven mine and agrees it appears to be more powerful than his but that doesnt help the numbers.

The factory headers dont help at all either. I am planning on a run in the next few weeks I just need to sort out some standard tyres to run. The other thing is I have no idea what sort of losses it would experience through the drivetrain being a 4wd?:shrug:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tuxlugz said:
looks sweet boof! what type of problems did you run into for the wiring?
Not too many due to the aftermarket management. We had a problem with the taco due to not being the same colour wire as the drawings indicated but that was about it.

There are guys over here who sell complete looms to suit for 900 that only require about 6 wires joined up. My mate with the Bundeera is flying a guy up from Sydney to do his and its costing him 1200, but he just gets to stand there and watch.:cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great project.
I live down the road from you at the Gold Coast.
Dont worry about the Dyno figures. When I got mine Dynoed the guy asked me how much power do you want it to show on the Dyno. There are tricks to show more or less power. And big tyres will never help.
Mine showed 110rwhp to start of with. I told they guy that cant be right. He changed a few settings then that upped it to 170 and then he told me I could probably get close to 200 if he really loaded the engine. But i did not want him to cause it was my new supercharged engine and I did not want him to break it trying to reach a figure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MrHilux said:
Great project.
I live down the road from you at the Gold Coast.
Dont worry about the Dyno figures. When I got mine Dynoed the guy asked me how much power do you want it to show on the Dyno. There are tricks to show more or less power. And big tyres will never help.
Mine showed 110rwhp to start of with. I told they guy that cant be right. He changed a few settings then that upped it to 170 and then he told me I could probably get close to 200 if he really loaded the engine. But i did not want him to cause it was my new supercharged engine and I did not want him to break it trying to reach a figure.
Hey mate sounds like you have a nice setup there. How do you go with all the DOT on the Coast I am too paranoid to take mine down there nowadays with the 35s on.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
That is a nice setup!!

We need more peeps from Australia to join this site. The handful of members that we do have from 'Down Under' have some of the most bad-ass Toyota trucks that I have ever seen.
:waytogo::waytogo::waytogo:

:thinking: Maybe if we get Jeff to change the name of this site to "Customtacos & Hilux's" we would get more international peeps joining.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have never had any problems with being pulled up.
My ute is not overboard though.
Black styleside single cab, 2 Inch body lift, 31's with Chrome mags. I have attached a Image
Just keep clear of the esplanade and Surfers if you cruise there you are just asking to be pulled up.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MrHilux said:
I have never had any problems with being pulled up.
My ute is not overboard though.
Black styleside single cab, 2 Inch body lift, 31's with Chrome mags. I have attached a Image
Just keep clear of the esplanade and Surfers if you cruise there you are just asking to be pulled up.
Yeh thats my problem when I had 2" and 31s was never worried. But now with 4" lift and 35s it looks a bit over the top. And if they start looking theres modded bumpstops etc that I will be in the $hit for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah it is always a problem.
A mate of mine Anthony West (gp Rider) had a Balck extracab 4x4 he spent about $8000.00 on bags front and rear, massive lift and wheels.
It could not drive out of site on a dark nite. It attracted that much attention.
He got pulled up by the cops after a few weeks had to get it towed to the transport department and had to return the whole thing back to standard:brickknoc

1 - 20 of 23 Posts