Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so about an hour ago, i started cleaning and prepping 2 of my wheels to paint.

i'm painting them gun-metal and the calipers blue. i have already washed and dried the wheels, went over the back side with 400grit sand paper and wiped clean with a tack cloth. i put 2 coats of white primer on and the first sparse coat of paint. i have also nearly finished painting my drivers side caliper...

i will post pics when i'm done.

this is what i'm expecting them to look like :D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Should look pretty good when you get done!:waytogo:

·
Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
2,067 Posts
Gunmetal, thats the color I would go with on my bsp xr. I'm still a bit hesitant though for the paint flaking or getting ugly.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well, i only got 2 wheels done today.

i used dupli-color wheel paint, 4 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear.

they look great right now. i'll take pics and edit this in a min

pics

and yes, i know i painted the wheel weights as well. i just didn't care enough to get these rebalanced... also, i plan on getting my new wheels before i have to replace the stockers :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
looks good, what paint did you use on the calipers? Wheels look sick

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Throw some wax on the wheels in a few days...It'll do 'em good ! I like the color. :waytogo:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alaxrunner said:
looks good, what paint did you use on the calipers? Wheels look sick
dupli-color caliper paint blue :clapping:

couple more pics

i didn't want to put the center caps on until the paint/clear coat was fully cured, so they'll go on tomorrow morn

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
looks like you need MORE paint on the wheels...lightly scuff 'em and hit 'em with a GOOD final coat....but stop before it runs...backside as well....just my 2-cents...still like the color.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, i'll probably touch them up next weekend... the directions said that if you need to touch them up after an hour, to wait 7 days for the paint to fully cure.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used the same color to paint my stock Enkeis on my old EVo VIII, the paint held up perfect for over a year with no chipping. I plan on using the same paint on my stockers too, preparation is the key to making it last.:waytogo:

·
Registered
229 Posts
AGREED! Color is great, and will look even GREAT...( :thinking: )....er ( :clapping: ) when you get a few more coats on. That's the best color for the SWB X IMO.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm just wondering what i did wrong, other than not thinking about primering the whole wheel first.

i might need to re-do the wheels tomorrow :( i just watched the training vid on their website again and (while they've done this many times before) can't figure out what i did so differently, other than the wheel being flat on the ground instead of being at an angle :shrug:

·
Registered
419 Posts
What's going to happen when you put more color on top of 4 coats of clear :shrug:

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Just scuff the wheel good with some 800, or slightly finer sand paper, clean it good, and spray a light coat,wait about ten minutes, and build up a nice, EVEN "thick"...nut running coat, on both sides of the wheel, you'll be fine. You just stopped painting the wheel too soon, not a thick and even enough coat the first time....final coat is very important...thick but not too thick, spray it in the sun so you can see what's going on.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
beef has it right but also when you are spraying the clear on you have to spray even "wet" coats or that will also ruin the finish. if you dont you will end up with a very peally finish.:waytogo:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good tips, you also can not being spraying too close to the rim, or too heavily or the paint will bubble...You'll get it, just have to have patience....you have more guts than i do, i couldnt paint my own rims. Then again i can;t even paint a model w/o ruining it:doah:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts