Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are leaf springs the same for ext cabs or reg cabs or 4 cyl and v6? for 5 lugs

looking for some leafs on craigslist and want to know if there is any difference in the option tacomas so i dont get the wrong ones...i know years are specific for my 99, i am looking for 98-00 leafs

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,768 Posts
According to my factory parts list the whole leaf sets (entire sets; complete rear leaf assemblies) are the same for all 2WD 5-lug (non-PreRunner) Tacos from 1998 through 2000. There's no difference mentioned for Regular Cab vs. XtraCab or 4-cyl vs. 6-cyl. models. The part numbers for the whole assemblies are:

48210-04090 (Right / Starboard side)
48220-04011 (Left / Port side)

Now here's the possible problem(s) ...

The individual / separate leafs all carry the same part numbers (4WD; PreRunner; 5-lug minis), and the listing says they have to be ordered by specific application (i.e., model).

Unless you know for a fact the leafs came off a 1998 - 2000 5-lug mini (any cab; any engine) I don't know how you'd be able to tell the right ones just by the part numbers on the leafs.

I don't know whether the whole leaf assembly part numbers are stamped on the assemblies anywhere, and I have no idea where they may be stamped.

Reactions: fredfifty

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i swapped to some leafs from a 99 2wd ext cab 4 cylinder...i looked at the part numbers on my take-offs which were 48210-04100 for both and an RPN 0649 for both as well...does that seem odd to have the same part numbers (on leafs) for both sides? thats after reading the part numbers you cited, which were side specific.

i put the leafs in without any fitment issues from the 4 cyl tacoma, wondering if it is supposed to be side specific...

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,768 Posts
The part numbers I quoted came from the factory parts listing back at the time (i.e., up through 2000).

It's not unusual for Toyota to simplify their parts inventory as the years go by - especially for older models no longer being produced. This simplifies the supply chain for replacement parts Toyota outsources and no longer bothers to create themselves.

My guess is that at some point Toyota simply designated a single standard leaf pack assembly for both sides of a 1998 - 2000 Tacoma and updated the part numbers to reflect this simplification.

Reactions: fredfifty
1 - 4 of 4 Posts