Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much will be lost in power and speed off the line going from 31's to 33's??

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
Not sure, but you could always change the gears in your diff. to get the same as stock or even better.

·
Registered
186 Posts
it depend on how much torque you have...with a sup'd V6 i doubt you'd notice too much of a diff in daily driving but (depends on how fast you drive) in the quarter mile i'm sure your times would hurt...but hey your a 4x4 throw those 33's on there and go tear sh*t up ...IMO 33's are the best size on taco's unless you're really,really ,really in to off-roading

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, i'm not too familar with the differences in gearing. I talked to ORW they said if you were to supersize the tires, you would need to regear the thing in order to maintain the stock power... help me out!

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
That would be the thing to do, make sure you aren't going to rub with the 33"'s. I would say to go with x 10.50. but it's up to you. You will need to regear it and maybe lock it, That makes the traction go to both wheels instead of just one! Great for the desert and boggin. Are you taking it to the desert?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well.. i do minor offroading.. i like trails and hard packed dirt over desert. small creeks and what have you... but more over it's racing stuff for me. But i still want to be able to smush things to my disposal.. hahah

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Then why did you buy a Prerunner, if your into racing get a v6 supercharge and leave it as a sleeper! 33's are gonna slow youdown for sure. If you regear it, it will help but on freeways you are going to be running really high RPM's. It's up to you and it isyour money!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Also don't forget about your speedometer, it too will be thrown off a bit, bigger tire will show a slower speed. Check the TTORA site they will have better insight into these kinds of things.

·
Registered
186 Posts
33's wont make too drastic of a change...i had a 22r in my old taco 4x4 and i went from 29's to 32's with almost no difference in power..i didnt change the gears and actually felt that my 1st and 2nd gear felt like they pulled harder instead of bieng too short in 4High,,,in 4Low it was still low enough to do some moderate climbing...but hey a had a 4 banger you have at least twice the power and torque dont worry too much...i used to drive and 95 altima GXE with exhaust,intake and so forth and i got smoked by my buddies 2000 V6 4X4 supercharged ...and i mean you could tell he was pulling every time he shifted gears ..he had 32x11.50x15's on it at the time

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm... cool.. thanks for the input everyone.. i think i've decided to just stay with the 31's.. i mean it's safer that way in terms of speed off the line and i don't have to worry about going slower. After all... the smallest difference wins those races!!

Oh yes, not to mention raising the truck and putting larger tires and new shocks and all that others stuff is going to cost a good $1200+... so.... decision settled! Now.. to choose tires..

Street tires, or Mud Tires...

·
Registered
311 Posts
You have to consider what kind of driving you will be doing the most, if you like BFG's, they have a 31" tire which is wider than 10.50, its not listed in floatation sizing I think its like 325/60/15 in the all terrain tire. It is a pretty good tire, a couple of friends of mine had them and no complaints.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts