Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Land Speed Racing (calling All Ct Members) Please Help

4K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  Greg_Canada 
#1 ·
I was planning on making this a suprise for everyone but i am running out of ideas.

in april my 2002 toyota tacoma TRD will be sent out to be caged. so i can pass tech inspection so i can attempt a land speed record at the bonneville salt flats

This year i will be using a stock engine with 170,kmi an STS turbo kit at 16psi, speed gov. bypass chip, and more

i am running out of ideas how to make my truck go faster.

the stock 4:10 will only take me to about 160 at the rev limiter, but my goal for this year is 200mph. so i will need to replace the front and rear ring and pinions.

i am lookig to keep it 4wd. so in the hours of research done i have come up with nothing. It looks like i will have to run a factory 3:58 set if i cant find anything else which still wont take me up to 200

is there any chance of changing out 5th gear in the tranny? or doing something with the T case so low range would be close to stock high gearing and high range would be for high speed?

are there other trannys with different gear ratios that would get me going faster?

the truck will be lowered 5" up front and 6" in the rear. i will be running a 28"" tall LAND SPEED RACING TIRE

See less See more
#16 ·
dont know yet.

so does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as far as the gear ratio, tranny or t case

#15 ·
yep, sure am. the plan is to drive it from ny to bonneville, race and drive home. becides, i may need 4wd traction at bonneville is an issue.

#17 ·
mite want to look into what the current 4wd land speed
record is and see what kind of power their putting down..
I've seen factory sponsored race vehicles with endless money budgets running out there.
So I don't know if your even going to come close to beating any records..
but it's sure going to be a blast!

#19 ·
how do i bypass the rev limiter? i would like a switch on=factory rev limiter, off no rev limiter.

i was planning on making 16psi think a stock 5vz will take it?

#20 ·
assuming u are a v6 trd with the R150F transmission.
1st 3.830
2nd 2.062
3rd 1.436
4th 1.000
5th 0.838
and 4.10 rear end

and 5600 redline.

28inch tall tire?

135.8 mph is the max with this set up...

swap to 3.58 like my old 98 had
155.5 mph

now keep the 3.58 and swap to a 32 inch tall tire top end is 177.7 mph.

now with 3.15 like the s-runner and 28 inch tall tire.
176.7mphis the 5600 rpm...

but 3,15 and 32 inch tire.
202 mph

3.15 and 31 inch tall tire.
195.7mph.

so is the 28 inch tall tire a positive?

cause that is what the trucks with the 3.58 in the rear came with.

with 31's and 3.15 in the rear
1st top end 42.8
2nd top end 79.5
3rd top end 114.2
4th top end 164.0
5th top end 195.7

this is assuming the drivetrain can spin that fast, drive shaft and u-joints.and u can push that much air...

#22 ·
ok but with a 31" tire i will only be able to lower the truck like 2"

if i run a 28" tire that will have her belly dam close to the ground

#27 ·
There's a company called Gear Vendors that makes add-on overdrive units. I looked through their application guide, but there's no toyota stuff listed. Maybe you should call them...

Or, you've likely heard of double reduction transfer cases to get a crawl ratio, Maybe the folks at Marlin Crawler can make you a box that goes the other way. Since you're a 4x4, it wouldn't be hard to integrate.

#39 ·
You will probably want front and rear open diffs as well to reduce the amount of power needed to turn the tires. You might wanna run full synthetics in ur transfer case, tranny, and diffs as well at those speeds. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.