Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
um not really. i would suggest you look into other brands. such as trueflow and amsoil. you wont really gain power but you can gain filtration and the ability to reuse a filter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
K&N air filters, although they let a lot of air through.. also let quite a bit of dirt through. If you wheel your truck at all or drive in dirty/dusty conditions, I would stay away from the K&N filters. They can also foul up your MAF Sensor if you don't pay special attention to not oversaturating the filter with oil when performing routine filter maintenance every 10 or 15K miles(as recommended).

I'd go the route of a non-oiled filter if you can. Amsoil makes a superb new filter media called EA Nanofiber. Unfortunately, they don't make a drop-in filter that fits the stock airbox for any Toyota Trucks yet. They do however make a generic cone EA Nanofiber filter that you could fit onto your stock intake pipe if you can find a way to relocate the MAF Sensor.

I just installed this exact setup on my little brothers 3000GT a few weeks ago. We had to build a custom adapter by dremelling/chiselling up a block of alluminum so that we would have a suitable connector to go between the intake pipe and the cone filter. It works great, but it was a lot of work and the gains would probably not be overly siginficant on a truck due to the nature of the engine's powerband.

I urge you guys to call Amsoil up and ask them if they plan on making EA Nanofiber drop-in filters for our trucks. I have done so several times myself over the past few months and they assured me that they plan on making them.. but they just aren't sure how soon. I doubt that calling is making much difference in their priorities, but it can't hurt to voice our desire for such a product.

If anyone cares to call to help the cause and call them up to try to show some interest in EA Nanofiber drop-in replacement filters for our Tacomas(regardless of which engine yours has), their number is:

(715) 392-7101

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where would i buy an amsoil, or decent upgrade from the K&N filter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Amsoil has to be purchased through their online site(www.amsoil.com). You can get their stuff a little cheaper if you know a friend or relative who has an amsoil reseller-dealer account.

WIX also makes a drop-in air-filter for our trucks, and they are being sold currently on the Amsoil site as a temporarily fill-in for the Toyota trucks until Amsoil starts producing their EA filters... but I haven't really done any research on those WIX filters to comment on their quality or performance.

My plan for now is to just keep my paper-element drop-in filter and hopefully Amsoil starts making these Amsoil EA Filtesr for us soon. If they do, I'll upgrade then.... or if I become impatient, possibly get some other brand of aftermarket filter next summer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good. I appreciate your feedback! Could you reccomend any other small upgrades that would enhance performance?

·
Registered
25 Posts
jt0716 said:
Sounds good. I appreciate your feedback! Could you reccomend any other small upgrades that would enhance performance?
Keeping up with maintenance is a key to good performance/economy. Run a high quality synthetic motor oil that meets the viscocity recommendations for your operating climate temperatures as well as using full synthetics in your tranny/x-fer case/differential, keep your zerk fittings along the driveline lubricated with a good synthetic grease(Amsoil or Mobil1), make sure your spark plugs are new and properly gapped(maybe even properly rotated if you're picky), and keep your tires inflated to recommended spec or a possibly a few PSI higher than recommended if you only street-drive the truck(do a chalk test to find proper inflation for aftermarket tires). Also make sure your vehicle is alligned and wheels balanced so that it tracks straight and doesn't vibrate significantly at highway speeds, and make sure that none of your calipers are dragging. Make sure that your air filter is clean and your O2 sensors are working(If they weren't, you'd have a Check Engine light on), and if your truck is equipped with a PCV Valve, check or replace it every few years(I believe this is only applicable to the V6-equipped Tacos and California-spec 4-Cylinder Taco's made between the '95-'2004 timeframe... or something in that general range).

I haven't tried it out on this vehicle specificly, but if you switch in a straight intake pipe(unresonated) and couple it with some form of higher flowing air-filter(Do a search for the Deckplate Mod if you want a cheap intake mod), you might gain some exhaust sound as well as a little fuel economy and 1 to 4 WHP that you will never be able to feel on the butt-dyno. I did this on my G35 and gained 1.5 to 2 MPG across the board consistently over 1 year test period just from those 2 mods together(if you saw a picture of the stock intake pipe on this car, you'd know why it was soo inefficient).

Also make sure that you are running the proper grade of gasoline as recommended for your particular engine. Running 94 Octane fuel in a low compression engine that was designed to handle 87 Octane won't yield you any performance benefits of any sort... you'll just be spending more money per gallon to purchase it. On the other hand, if you put 87 octane fuel in a vehicle that is designed to handle 91 or 92 octane(high compression engine/Forced Induction), you will suffer decreased economy and power as well as potentially damaging the engine internals if the octane deficiency was enough to cause significant enough knock such that the ECU's Knock-Sensing timing-retardation can't compensate for.

High flow headers/cats and a free flowing aftermarket piping and mufflers will give you some additional power and economy. There also might be an ECU upgrade or chip-reflash available for your truck which can change the fuel maps and A/F ratios so that are less forgiving and will yield optimal performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts