Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my k&n drop in filter. I got it becuase I hate buy crappy paper filters that are ruined after 20000K.

Is this filter bad for my engine?

is it better for my engine to have a toyota filters should I take the K&N back?

I read through a bunch of threads and web sites and it all back and forth

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
there's two sides to this argument.. if oiled properly its fine, but they're extremely over oiled from the factory. if its over oiled the engine will suck some of that oil through the filter onto the mass air flow meter and mess it up and throw off the reading.. so i lightly oil mine when i recharge it and if i got a new one i woudl take a air hose and blow as much oil off as i could:waytogo:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Firdaddy said:
there's two sides to this argument.. if oiled properly its fine, but they're extremely over oiled from the factory. if its over oiled the engine will suck some of that oil through the filter onto the mass air flow meter and mess it up and throw off the reading.. so i lightly oil mine when i recharge it and if i got a new one i woudl take a air hose and blow as much oil off as i could:waytogo:
Thank you Chris, well said ! Same thing here. This on-going arguement about K&N, being a bad filter or a decent/ good filter is being going for ever ! Worse than "Dallas" episodes...:lol:

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
The oiling issue is one point of concern. The oil can be pulled off the filter and coat the MAF sensor and then dust will then stick to it causing it to have a greater and greater error rate.

The other point of concern is the it simply is not a very good air filter. You have a very expensive Toyota engine, why would you not want as much dust and dirt filtered out of the induction air? Just hold it up to the Sun and see all the holes in it that are way larger then dust particals you want to be filtered out.

If you are trying to decide between the K&N filter and a stock Toyota filter, I say go with Toyota every time. It is a very nice high quality filter and they are using a synthetic media and not just cheap paper.

If you really think you must go with an oiled gause filter then pick from one of the other brands out there. AFE (makers of TRD) use more layers of cotton. Airaid uses a thin layer of synthetic media on the inside and a couple of layers of cotton on the outside. As far as I can tell of the oiled cotton filters AIraid appears to be ahead of the game.

Gadget

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am new to posting on this site but I have read a while back the argument about the K & N filters. I was curious if anyone would be able to tell me what a good replacement for the K & N cone filter for my aftermarket intake is? Thanx

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=511998&page=store

AMSOIL has universal cone filters made of the new state of the art synthetic NANO Fiber filter media. There are several different sizes based on pipe size, base diameter, tip diameter and height of the cone.

The NANO Fiber media is the best going filtering media out right now, even better then foam. It is also DRY with no OIL to goof anything up like the MAF sensor.

These are the filters we use in the URD 1GR Supercharger kit and the soon to be released Tacoma 1GR True Cold Air Intake System.

Gadget

·
Registered
83 Posts
Right on. Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts