Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems with the jl stealth boxes or with the mtx thunderform ones?? i was thinking about getting a sub in my reg. cab and i want to go with the one that will give me the best sound. i noticed that with the JL audio box the sub points towards the back wall. is this a bad thing as opposed to the mtx box. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
From everything I've been taught, bass waves are non-directional. In other words, it doesn't matter if the subwoofer is aimed directly at your ears or aimed away from you.

To illustrate: I used to have a hatchback car and my subs actually sounded BETTER when I aimed them back towards the back of the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i made my own box and i have 2 10s and im pretty satisfied, but if it was in a car, i think it should hit harder because the bass has more room to roam around in a car then in a reg. cab...thats how i feel...im running mtx thunder 8302 amp!

·
Registered
953 Posts
It really doesn't matter which box you use because the only thing the subwoofer does is move air. That's all bass is...moving air. The magnet can be facing either direction. If you had room in your cab, you could unscrew the MTX sub and turn it around so the magnet faced outward and it would sound exactly the same. I personally have no preference between JL and MTX, they are both great companies. I attached pics of both boxes for everyone. The only plus I see to the JL box is that the sub is better protected from cone damage, but the MTX box definitely has a better appealing look to it. I say go with whatever is easier on the wallet. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Here's a pic of the MTX box too...Jeff's right, they are nondirectional, if possible you just move things around till you get the best possible air movement in the cab or trunk.

Attachments

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
A friend of mine has the MTX in the back of his ride. I was amazed how hard and clean one 10" could be. It sounds better than my two 12" Fosgates!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts