Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...I have a 2006 X-Runner with 16,000km (about 10,000 miles)...so I pull away from a stop sign today (I kinda did a rolling stop so I started in second gear). It takes off fine and started to accelerate alright. I shift out of second and when I went for third all it did was grind. So I tried forth and it wouldn't go in. Back to third, wouldn't go in again. I coasted to the side of the road and the tranny wouldn't go into any gear. Completly locked! I shut the truck off and restated it a couple of times and still same problem.
This is my first issue with the Tacoma - I hope it's not too serious. Any idea's as to what it might be? Today's Sunday and it's been towed (I hated seeing it go away on the back of a truck!!) to the local dealer so I guess we'll see what they say early in the week. Help!! :( :shrug: :confused:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Chris D. said:
Its standered on all X Runners..

The transmissions are garbage..
Yea, it certainly seems that way, doesn't it? Toyota really f-d up on this 6-speed tranny. This is indeed a very serious problem that will require a complete transmission overhaul. Lucky for you, its under warranty.

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
if it's sitting with the engine off, does it feel like it goes into gear? if it does, put it in gear and try to start the truck. if it jumps forward, the clutch is not releasing. my guess is the tranny, though.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Chris D. said:
Sputnik, Your signature lettering..
"Work sucks, its Russian" :shrug: I'm rusty..
yes no? :confused:
Yes, its Russian, and work sucks is the first part of the sentence. If you want to know what it is that work sucks, PM me, I can't post it here :evil: :) .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dwX said:
Hey everyone...I have a 2006 X-Runner with 16,000km (about 10,000 miles)...so I pull away from a stop sign today (I kinda did a rolling stop so I started in second gear). It takes off fine and started to accelerate alright. I shift out of second and when I went for third all it did was grind. So I tried forth and it wouldn't go in. Back to third, wouldn't go in again. I coasted to the side of the road and the tranny wouldn't go into any gear. Completly locked! I shut the truck off and restated it a couple of times and still same problem.
This is my first issue with the Tacoma - I hope it's not too serious. Any idea's as to what it might be? Today's Sunday and it's been towed (I hated seeing it go away on the back of a truck!!) to the local dealer so I guess we'll see what they say early in the week. Help!! :( :shrug: :confused:

So I just heard back from the dealer today after they took a look and it turns out the tranny is just fine!! However, it does turn out that the Clutch Master Cylinder blew an internal seal - no clutch engagment = no tranny engagment. So all is being covered under warranty and the truck should be back on the road tomorrow. As an added bonus the dealers service was exceptional and they actually treated me like a human being (what an interesting concept - others should follow!). The dealer (Jackson's Toyota - Barrie, Ontario) also offered to change the tranny oil (also under warranty) as a precautionary measure since when I attempting to shift to third it ground it pretty good (as I was expecting it to go in) and they want to make sure no shavings are floating around in there. So although it still kinda sucks I had to go through this in the first place at least the dealer did they're best to turn a negative into a positive! :waytogo:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Chris D. said:
fake it.. di ck co ck fawker, ect..
The first line is "Work sucks hippopotamus co ck."
The second line is "Its russian slang."

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
dwX said:
So I just heard back from the dealer today after they took a look and it turns out the tranny is just fine!! However, it does turn out that the Clutch Master Cylinder blew an internal seal - no clutch engagment = no tranny engagment. So all is being covered under warranty and the truck should be back on the road tomorrow. As an added bonus the dealers service was exceptional and they actually treated me like a human being (what an interesting concept - others should follow!). The dealer (Jackson's Toyota - Barrie, Ontario) also offered to change the tranny oil (also under warranty) as a precautionary measure since when I attempting to shift to third it ground it pretty good (as I was expecting it to go in) and they want to make sure no shavings are floating around in there. So although it still kinda sucks I had to go through this in the first place at least the dealer did they're best to turn a negative into a positive! :waytogo:
Good thing that this was a relatively simple fix. But do keep in mind that there have been many serious issues with the 6-speed transmissions themselves which resulted in similar symptoms, so keep an eye on yours and if you suspect something being wrong, take it to the dealer so it doesn't leave you stranded.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,863 Posts
Then again ... This incident makes one wonder how many problems attributed to the 2005+ 6-speed manual transmissions may in fact be clutch apparatus problems ... :thinking:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts