• You Should Have Bought It Yesterday!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings All!

I've recently been looking into getting a truck just to primarily get my motorcycles to the track and back without having to rely on anyone else or renting a U-Haul every time. Showing my interest, I have recently came across a deal, but happen to be a little skeptical. What other place to obtain information other than the forum? Here goes...

1998 Tacoma with over 300k miles offered for $500; clean title; located in Southern California...no additional information.

The truck is coming from my ex-wife's grandfather, who happens to be the only person in her family that has ever showed me any favor. I know that the truck has been sitting in the garage for at least a year since his retirement.

I'm going to check out the truck this Friday, May 7, 2021.

I do have an OBD2 scanner at my disposal, so that's a plus. I figure that since it's been sitting fluids, battery, tires, and fuel of the least are in need of an immediate change.

Other than checking the frame and ensuring there isn't any rust decomposer, would anyone recommend anything else to be sure to check?

Thank you for all the info!

Will update as soon as I obtain more info.

Cheers!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,910 Posts
Once you get a battery on it, check to see if everything electrical seems to be working. If rats or mice messed with the wiring there could be some expense in getting it operational again.

Reactions: NvstyNvsh

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Once you get a battery on it, check to see if everything electrical seems to be working. If rats or mice messed with the wiring there could be some expense in getting it operational again.
Yes...what Enola said...I truck sat for more than 3 years in a storage container in the desert. New battery...electrical looked to be good...it started up first crank!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses!

Here are the additional details:
-98 Tacoma SR5 V6 2WD.
-374,100 miles.
-Solid frame.
-0 codes on OBD2 scanner (I am using a BlueDriver Pro Scan Tool).
-1 owner
-Clean title (I ran a carfax to verify).
-LoJack installed

Apparently, it's been sitting way longer than I thought; registration exp. in 2016. However, he said it was started within the past year and turned over on first crank. I didn't attempt to start it up this time because of exp. fuel and old oil.

Picking up for $500 and with the title in hand tomorrow (5/8/21).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts