Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

New member here (this is my first post)- I've been watching for a 1996/1997 Manual Access Cab for months now and finally just found one with pretty low mileage that would be exactly what I want, EXCEPT... it's the wrong color entirely.

My question to you guys is, is it worth it to have the whole thing repainted? It's tan right now and I'd like to go black. I understand this means taking the whole thing apart and should run me at LEAST a few thousand dollars. But what are y'all's estimates? And is it worth it?

or should I just keep waiting til I find a black one (I feel like my criteria is getting pretty narrow at that point)

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,259 Posts
Welcome to CT ...

Is there a particular reason you're searching for a 1996 / 1997 model only? Your available color options would be broader if you were looking for something (e.g.) anytime during the 1995.5 - 2004 era.

Black looks cool, but it's a pain to keep clean because it shows almost any dirt or dust. Is there a reason color is so important to you? For example, is this going to be a project truck?

I'm not knocking your criteria - I'm just curious why you've defined them so narrowly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Yea several reasons- I just like the look of them a lot more. It's the trim mainly- the chrome fenders- the grill on the 95/96/97 vs. the 98/99/00. And there's the logo on the tail gate. The roll down windows. etc. All cosmetic stuff.

Not a project truck. Just my dream truck.

And I don't mind dirt or dust- I like it actually. That might be part of why I like the black.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Being in the auto body field I do not recommend a color change. It is crazy expensive to have done right. And I own 2 black trucks. Yes they look good but as far as dents and dings on a old truck. They show worse on black. Unless the truck is a steal then just keep looking. But if you really want it as a dream truck then go for it and good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being in the auto body field I do not recommend a color change. It is crazy expensive to have done right. And I own 2 black trucks. Yes they look good but as far as dents and dings on a old truck. They show worse on black. Unless the truck is a steal then just keep looking. But if you really want it as a dream truck then go for it and good luck.
This is what I was looking to hear, thank you

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I agree, i recently started to learn how to paint. I would just refinish and keep the stock color. So you'll spend less on paint and materials, wont take as long as a full paint job. Repair all dents and defects, repaint same color. Blend with the old paint and clear coat the whole exterior. Dont have to take everything apart like fenders and the hood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts