Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any lighting accents in their truck?

I'd like to mock the Scion's interior theme by modding the cup holders and under dash lighting to my taco..

My girlfriend really likes it in the Scion and I thought it was pretty cool..

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,683 Posts
Wasn't there someone a while back (like last winter....) who put accent lights inside his dash vents? ... :thinking:

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
3in slim bars... Dude, don't trip--- I'll help you with the ricey sh it!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
i got some blue neons for a dollar a piece, had no place to put them, under the dash is hard to mount, put them under the seats...it looks pretty good...

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
Things are tough for simpletons... :lol: JFWY Truckin98...
Actually if you use the bars for under the dash board and LEDs in the wells you'll get adequate light, and we can also wire it to your dash lights so you can dim if necessary!

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a 12v 30amp dimmer switch ment for an RV that looks like it'll fit right in the dash's acc switch location.. Its adjustable from off/dim to full brightness and everythign inbetween.. I've also found a company that sells led's that allow a dimmer switch to work on them..

I'm going to stick with a LED setup because neons dont really dim.. :)

So my next mod will be to do my instrument cluster so I can ditch some orange to make everything match my alpine decks hyper blues.. :)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
in my 98, there was no real place to mount a 10 inch neon...they wedge perfectly under the front of the seat, i just need to get all the wires for them hidden, they are bright, but not blinding and they dont reflect too much off the windshield, they are good

·
BOOSTED
2,069 Posts
I have those flex tubes hooked up to my door so when my door is open then it lights up and I have a relay where it i don't want them on during the open door I hit the switch and it turns off. gotta figure how to wire it like the dome light oh well I'll post pics later

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to the toyota dealership and looked at how they set it up..

theres a total of 4 LED's that they use for the intire interior setup..

1 LED per cup holder that isnt at the bottom like I had once thought, its just a single led thats aimed into the side of the beverage thats less than an inch from the bottom of the holder..
the led is aimed towards the front of the vehicle FYI

so thats 2 LED's right there..

Then the under dash setup is just a single LED on each side that lights up a solid plastic tube about 1/4" thick as somewhat of a fiber optic effect, not really a neon tube setup..

so theres the other 2 LED's

For a total of 4 led's, a few little brackets and 2 pieces of 1/4" thick clear solid plastic tubing..
They charge you $275 for about $20 bucks worth of stuff..

·
Stop Staring
5,744 Posts
couple ideas...

use LED rings that they sell for headlights (BMW style) and drop on in each side. they are pretty strong so having a can or bottle on it wont hurt it.

second way would be to cut off the very bottom of the cup holder and replace it with a piece of frosted plexiglass. then just attach the LEDs to the plexiglass and it will make the whole bottom piece light up

or just buy those accent LEDs Varad sells, drill a hole halfway in the side of the cupholder and stick the tip of it through just enough that the light will come through but it wont obstruct anything you put in it

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
amber00dak said:
or just buy those accent LEDs Varad sells, drill a hole halfway in the side of the cupholder and stick the tip of it through just enough that the light will come through but it wont obstruct anything you put in it
I'm looking into this one :)
thanks for the ideas..

I can make those BMW angel eyes myself BTW, really simple to do..

·
Stop Staring
5,744 Posts
Chris D. said:
I can make those BMW angel eyes myself BTW, really simple to do..
yea, but not everyone knows how to do 'em :waytogo:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts