Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my new bumper the other day for my truck, but i'm having some trouble installing it. Which bolts should i take off to get the bumper off? There look like 2 sets that can come off and will do the trick. The only thing about it is, i really can't get under my truck to do it. Should i get some jack stands to lift it up or what? I wish i had a digital camera so i could upload the pics of the bolts i'm talking about. I'm really stuck, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I don't really know anything about removing/installing the front bumper but according to the haynes manual that I have, you have to:
1. Remove the grille
2. Remove the bumper lenses
3. Remove the bumper arm bolts and the bumper-to-body bolts.

I've tried to attach a picture from the manual but I'm not sure it worked. (Never used the attach feature before.)

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
This may be a few days late, but when I was in the process of trying to switch my 99' 2wd bumper back to a 95-97 4wd, I learned a lot about how take the front end apart.

The bumper should be attached in two places in the front, somewhere between the turn signals. It's a 14mm, if I remember correctly. Then, the sides are attached to a bracket, too.

I've attached a photo of what mine looked like without the bumper attached. The red arrows point to where the bumper was bolted on.

Granted, mine's a 99', but yours will be very similar. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know exactly what your saying, but the thing about it is, i can't seem to get the damn bumper off. Did you have your truck on jack stands when you did it or was it on the ground? I'm breaking my back getting under that thing, i'm getting pretty weary of it too.

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Jeff, did you ever get that 95-97 4wd bumper/valance on?
I've got the same truck and wanted to go with a 95-97 2wd on it, but wanted to get some feedback on how difficult the install was and if any custom fabrication had to be done to do it. I assume the mounting is the same for the 4wd and 2wd for those yrs but don't know for sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i wanna know how to do it on a 98 also? didnt buy the bumper yet...wanna know how to do it first cuz i might jus waste my money...know what im sayin!

D

·
0 Posts
I have a 00 2wd coma and i just bought a replacement 2wd 00 bumper cuz the other one is dented im gonna try and put it on tomorrow ill let you know how it goes

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
To answer both questions:

No, I didn't ut my truck up on a lift or jack stands to remove the bumper. But, then again, I'm only 3" lower than factory in the front.

No, I still haven't gotten the 95-97 bumper/valence combo installed. I purchased 95-97 4wd brackets, which made the front line up correctly, but the bumper still didn't fit correctly on the sides. I need to come up with a solution for the end brackets. I'm thinking 95-97 2wd brackets might work. It's too cold to try to get much done (since I don't have a garage), so it's going to have to wait until we finish with deep-freeze season. :(

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, i'm curious as to how you got the bumper off? Did you crawl under your truck or what? Mine is only lowered 3" as well, but i can't seem to get it off.

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
I hear that, even here in FL it's been down in the low 20's at night, pissing me off. I got water spots on my finish daily from ice melting throughout the day, and it's too damn cold to get out there and give it a good wash properly.

Let me know when you have a little more insight on that bumper install, I'd like to hear what you come up with. Do you think the 2wd would be any easier of an install considering it's going onto a newer 2wd?

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Ok well I have a 97 Taco and I just installed my billet grill on it, I had to take my bumper off to do it. To start with there are 4 bolts in the middle (two on each side). Then 1 10mm bolt on each end of the bumper, near the front of the fender. That's all there are to take ur bumper off. I thought (THOUGHT) that the 95-97 Tacomas had one set of bumper brackets for the 2WD and 4x4. If not I'm skrewed cuz I just bought a 4x4 bumper and haven't had a chance to put it on. Someone clear this up for me then, are there separate brackets or no? Latez

D

·
0 Posts
i put my 00 2wd bumper on last night on my 00, and it was relatively easy there are 6 bolts total to umbolt. 4 of them are 14mm connected to the brackets and impact beam. then there are 2 10mm bolts to unbolt on each side of the bumper. my truck is at stock height right now and i just crawled under the the truck and used a socket wrench for everything. It was annoying to have to transfer all the bolts and brackets and stuff to the new bumper. i can give more detail if you want

1 - 14 of 14 Posts