Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Was searching & came up with a few different part#'s for a one of those "locking" gas caps, you know the kind you need a key to unlock & remove.

I'm trying to get the one that has the sliding keyhole cover that covers the key opening from water/debris....

I don't know if I'm allowed yet to post a sample pic yet- low post count.

I'll post a pic from my other ride so everyone has an idea....

Thanks............

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On amazon:

Gates# 31780 ?
Motorad# MGC-791 ?

Debating on these two.....

What about a lock for the tailgate- I can't seem to find a replacement handle that has a key lock. Only a brace/ring that clamps on the tailgate to prevent removal from the truck.
I want one where you "lock" the handle so you can't "open" the tailgate like on a Ford.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, I should mention the locking-gas cap caused issues with the evap/emissions canister, it's the black-box assemby that sits on the frame above my fuel-tank, caused some internal damage.

Thru a CEL

Every time I went to open it, somehow the locking-cap created excessive pressure... would hear "hissing" every time I twisted the locking cap off. So I had to keep the fuel tank at 3/4-full and clear the CEL. IF my tank was over the 3/4 level [reading on the dash], the CEL would light-up the next day when I start-up my Tacoma in the AM.

SO I went back to the original/OEM gas-cap, installed a $200 Dorman-brand evap/emissions canister replacement... NO more CEL.

Not sure if anyone found a "better" cap, but the one I got off of AMZN went into the garbage & never found a quality locking-key gas-cap replacement...

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,152 Posts
From my experience, toyota for the most part does not like aftermarket.
Stant caps... smh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts