Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm trying to add a cam position sensor to my 1996 3rz that did not come with one stock. Apparently trucks with distributors had no factory installed cam position sensor in the head. The 'base/mount' for the sensor is still there, just not drilled out..

Today I called a machine shop that was capable. I also ordered a cam sensor from a 98 3rz. But before i get down to it...
Anybody done this before? Any idea on specs;How close the cam sensor needs to be to the cam lobe? Does it require drilling all the way through? Anything i should know in general?

BTW-The reason im doin this to get my sequential firing going with my AEM Pencil coils. Other wise, with no cam sensor, i would have to batch fire which is not what im looking for.

Thanks!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
I'm confused ... :shrug:

You DO have a camshaft position sensor - it's built into the distributor.

Are you saying the signal from the stock camshaft position sensor doesn't work for your AEM application?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm confused ... :shrug:

You DO have a camshaft position sensor - it's built into the distributor.

Are you saying the signal from the stock camshaft position sensor doesn't work for your AEM application?

If you think that I can utilize my existing camshaft sensor, that is supposedly integrated in my distributor, then yeah ill use it! I was just going to take off the distributor, 'plug' it off, and drill in a new cam sensor.

I wonder how i would just use the camshaft position sensor that is integrated into the distributor tho? is this possible?? can i remove the distributor and put the camshaft position sensor in its place?

Thanks for the input :waytogo:

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what's what ...

Here (attached) is the 1995.5 / 1996 diagnostic section for code P0340 (camshaft position sensor circuit). This explains how the camshaft position signal is generated.

The camshaft position widget is most often referred to as the 'signal generator' within the distributor.

This is a totally separate widget from the crankshaft position sensor.

It also provides a sketch of the overall wiring arrangement.

The camshaft signal is also referred to as the G signal, because it's connected to the ECM at the G terminals.

The NE terminals and the NE signal are for crankshaft position.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Here (attached) is a 1995.5 / 1996 distributor components diagram. The signal generator / pickup coil is the gadget that generates the camshaft position signal.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So according to the diagrams on that PDF. Terminals 3 & 4 are for the Camshaft position sensor... SO i could just elimnate the distributor cap and just keep the "dust cover" on that houses the signal plate and pickup coil. Very nice. very nice indeed.

You are right tho Enola, & i think i could piggyback off terminals 3 & 4 from the distributor connector to get my camshaft position sensor. SHWEET!

Do you see any problems arising/anything else i need from using this in conjunction with my AEM CDI pencil coils an AEM 4-channel coil driver?

Thanks for droppin the knowledge

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
I don't know whether or how this might work ... :shrug:

Clues, please ...

I have no idea what kind of cam position signal the AEM equipment is expecting. Did they give you any instructions or spec's on cam position signal? Did they recommend installing a separate sensor?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
So according to the diagrams on that PDF. Terminals 3 & 4 are for the Camshaft position sensor...
The wire color should be yellow coming off terminal 4, and light blue coming off terminal 3.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know whether or how this might work ... :shrug:

Clues, please ...

I have no idea what kind of cam position signal the AEM equipment is expecting. Did they give you any instructions or spec's on cam position signal? Did they recommend installing a separate sensor?
ill be using the AEM ignition setup (pencil coils and driver) with my Haltech sprint 500.

Im basically doing a coil conversion from the stock dizzy setup. I am trying to make sure i have everything i need. The AEM instructions do not require a spec sensors. I thought i had to install an extra sensor because i didnt think i had a camshaft position sensor.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
ill be using the AEM ignition setup (pencil coils and driver) with my Haltech sprint 500.

Im basically doing a coil conversion from the stock dizzy setup. I am trying to make sure i have everything i need. The AEM instructions do not require a spec sensors. I thought i had to install an extra sensor because i didnt think i had a camshaft position sensor.
You wont need a cam sensor unless your running sequential injection, but the dist signal will work as your cam sensor if you decide to do so. Otherwise you can just use a crank sensor and fire as batched.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You wont need a cam sensor unless your running sequential injection, but the dist signal will work as your cam sensor if you decide to do so. Otherwise you can just use a crank sensor and fire as batched.
cool, good to know. I want to use the dizzys cam sensor to run sequential injection. i do not want batch fire. Looking like i got what i need and dont need to add/uprgrade any sensors. Im stoked, less $$$..

Should be posting some pics and dyno stuff here inna couple weeks.:drool:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm.. im thinkng these spendy digital sensors would provide a better signal for a better tune. http://www.paradiseracing.com/Store/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=644&category_id=552&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Anybody have any experience installing these digital sensors from paradise racing? how would this setup work with my scenario since i have my "cam sensor" in my existing distributor. would this replace that sensor/distributor? Unfortunately, i dont have my cam sensor factory mounted on the side of the head :confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nobody here has experience upgrading their cam and crank sensors to digital Hall sensors (3wire) when going Haltech? Just looking for a better tune. any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
nobody here has experience upgrading their cam and crank sensors to digital Hall sensors (3wire) when going Haltech? Just looking for a better tune. any advice is appreciated
No reason to do that, I have set them up batched and sequential, really made no noticeable difference unless you want to change your injector firing event timing.

The stock sensors do just fine, just a simple trigger, thats all. Your wasting money IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m in a similar boat. I have a 98 Tacoma that had a bad engine, so replacement engine was swapped in. But it’s a distributor engine and my original was the 2 coil 3rz. How would I wire my old cam sensor wires to read the cam signal from the distributor?? It will run but has CEL on for cam sensor fault and makes it jerk up hill and under load.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts