Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm running a 96 2.4 liter stick. I've got a home made 3" intake with cone filter (bent to where the filter is right behind the headlight), Jardine Cat-back exhaust (lazy S design similar to the TRD, just about $200 cheaper) and a Venom 400 Control module.

I ran it just after I lowered it 2-3 with the stock shocks on it (not a good idea for traction) and ran a 16.5 at 83 mph.. spinning from mid 1st gear to the beginnig of 3rd. (this was the first time I'd ever touched a track) I replaced the shocks and I've got more traction, just the track is closed for the season.

I'm looking for more power without going with NOS... any suggestions?

My web page is http://hometown.aol.com/lsutacoma/taco.html

·
Registered
232 Posts
I gotta agree with AWIZEGUY4U...if you don't want NOS...
TURBO-CHARGE that taco! ELPROTOTYPES.com sells a turbo and they also have a lot of other performance parts for the taco! check it out.....turbo will push you just a bit over 200 HP, thats w/out an intercooler though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
How well does that Venom 400 controller perform?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Venom 400 does good for more mid range power... it doesn'tstay on, it only turns on when you get on it... The led light comes on on the dash when activated.... kinda like the JET thing i guess...The Venom 600 is the NOS system... I've looked into both companies for parts, got my eye on the clutch set from LC and the turbo as well... just a bit pricey for my current budget :)

·
Taco Fiend
486 Posts
ive got an E.L. trubo on mine and it totally hauls ass! you might want to check into the new LC engineering turbo kit though i think it might offer a little more for not that much more money. be careful with nos if you get it man my roomate spun a bearing on his 2000 celica and in the end he's gonna end up forkin' out about $2000. There are plenty of reliable nos kits out there though and the venom is definately what i would go for if i had the bottom end to support nos and a turbo hehe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Import-trucker
I have a question ...i looked at your home page and notice you have a breather installed on the valve cover . how did you inst6all this and what did you do to relocate the oem hose ?

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
I also have one installed, but on a v6. Bought the filter from Pep Boys and capped the intake where the factory hose goes.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would look into the pro camshfts with adjustable cam gears, short shifter and flywheel from LC engineering (total about ~$1000?), the VCN-1000 nitrous system from venom(go to customrim.com or ebay its about $590)- it has a computer controlled setup for safety and a rich/lean gauge and is considerably cheaper than the 2000 series, maybe an i.c.e pak from jacobs elec.(with NO2 mastermind) or an msd setup (~$350), downey headers (about $230), powertrax no slip for traction (~$375), and maybe the JET chip (~$300?). All this would get you runnin' quite a bit faster but would cost quite a bit and thats if you knew how to do the installs yourself..so maybe the other people are right and you should go with a turbo kit. But there's some options above..hope I helped.
Is the venom 400 very noticeable in your mid range? I haven't installed mine yet and I wondered if you like yours.

·
j-baby
3,644 Posts
is there alotta maintence with turbos, i heard that , thats why i was hopeing some 1 would make a super c. for the 2.7liter, does any 1 have any recomendations for headers....and ehaus...i have flowmaster now but ive got a leak in the head of the inlet, any suggestions would help. also can a 3mm throttlebody fit a turbo??? i highly recommend the venom 400, from 2-4 grand,rpm....very niiiiiiiiiiice

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you dont have that much cash theres still a few more things you can do. Header, electric fan, chip. Then you go turbo and nitrous. I am going with a 50 shot. nothing to major El Prototypes also sells cams for our trucks the possibilities are end less. TRD is suppose to come out with a supercharger for us 2.4 guys. Hopefully this is true.
Peace guys Tacomaracer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry, my PC has been down the past few days.... I love the Jardine... It has the same Lazy -S design as the TRD muffler. Sounds about the same as well, but only about $200 (I forget, its been on a while). I'm thinking of putting a turn down on it though... With my intake... its pretty loud.
At around 65-70 its got a deep tone to it in the cab, but above 70 it purrs. At idle with the AC on, it has a gurgling like a small V6.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts