Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo!
Okay so Had a few bulbs burn out on me, and so I wemt to replace them, they they were so locked up amd rusted that they shatered, rendering my light housings unusable. I bought new housings and lights, and went to install them, but then realized that whoever last messed with the lights completely clipped the wires and soldered/spliced/tangled them into a whole mess, not to mention now there was no way I could simply plug in the new lights. So off to the hardware store I go, and roughly 15 Eons and a few donzen strokes later, I had it all wired back up. The brake, turn, and hazards work, but the running lights wont turn on.

Also when I click on the left turn signal, it clicks really quickly. But the right side works.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram, so that I can wire this up correctly?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Welcome to CT!

Clues, please ...

Which (and how many) housings did you replace on this 2001 Taco?

Were these factory housings that you installed?

Were / are there aftermarket bulbs (especially non-standard headlamps and LED's) installed? If so - specify what they are.

You mentioned that the brake lights work. Do the tail lights work?

If so, do they come on when you advance the light control to the first setting (running / marker lights; no headlights)?

In other words - is it only the front corner / marker / running lights that are dead?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Here (attached) is the 2001 Tail Light wiring diagram. The front corner lights (listed as Parking Lights) are on the tail light circuit.

In addition, your dash illumination is powered off the tail light circuit, too.

Are you seeing any weirdness with the dash lighting?

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Here (attached) is the 2001 turn signal / hazard lamps wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to CT!

Clues, please ...

Which (and how many) housings did you replace on this 2001 Taco?

Were these factory housings that you installed?

Were / are there aftermarket bulbs (especially non-standard headlamps and LED's) installed? If so - specify what they are.

You mentioned that the brake lights work. Do the tail lights work?

If so, do they come on when you advance the light control to the first setting (running / marker lights; no headlights)?

In other words - is it only the front corner / marker / running lights that are dead?

Awesome! thank you so much for replying.

I replaced both back light housings with factory and all of the lightbulbs inside, no upgrades just regular bulbs from autozone/wall mart.

Yep, so while the truck is running, no back lights light up unless I switch on the hazards or turn signal which make the top (yellow) lights blink, or apply the brake, which lights up the lower (red) lights. The center (white) lights (are these the maker/backup lights?) will not turn on.

Also yes, the dashboard lights will not come on, they just stopped working one day at the same time the back lights started having issues.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Here (attached) is the 2001 back-up (reverse) light circuit wiring diagram. You'll need to refer to it for the explanation of what I think is wrong.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Now here's what I suspect is wrong ...

Look at all 3 wiring diagrams. There are 3 circuits that use the rear taillight pods / "combination lights."

For all 3 circuits the left (driver side) lamp's ground line goes to the right (passenger) side lamp, and a single ground line runs back to ground point IG through connector BN1 (under the driver's seat). For all 3 circuits this cross-connection from the left to the right lamp pod is a single line from pin 3 on the left pod to pin 6 on the right pod.

Since all 3 lights work (meaning the tail lights work) only when either the turn signals / hazards or the back-up lights are activated, this suggests:

- There's a problem with the tail light hot lead from the BN1 connector (green wire; pin 11 on the BN1 to pin 2 on the left lamp pod), and the tail lights are getting "juice" only by backflow from one or both the other circuits.

OR

- There's something wrong with the internal wiring of one or both the rear pods (most likely = right side pod) that's killing or preventing the ground connection for the tail light circuit alone (but not the other 2 circuits).

The fact that all 3 circuits work when at least 2 are activated suggests the single ground connection (from all 3 circuits) from the right pod through the BN1 connector to ground point IG is OK.

Assuming all the hot leads from the BN1 connector back to the tail pods are correctly connected and the hot lead wiring is OK, the problem's almost certainly in / at / around the pods themselves.

That's about all I can tell so far ...

The cross-wiring of the tail lights to a single ground coming off one of the pods is kind of peculiar, and it's been known to cause problems for people installing aftermarket pods (which were wired differently) or installing aftermarket non-standard (e.g., LED) bulbs. If the previous owner monkeyed with the rear lamp wiring because of such modification(s) that may explain it all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang that’s a lot of great information, I’ll try to fix it now and let you know if it works, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me, its a colossal help !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts