Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could really use some help here.I have searched the board here for a few days,but no one seems to have the same problem I have on my Tacoma. I have a 98 Extended cab that also has the VIP alarm system. About a year ago I had a battery drain problem. I had to run the truck everyday or it would kill the battery. A buddy suggested that to find the drain,I take the negative cable off to see if a test light would light. I pulled the fuses in the box under the hood till the light went out. I was having a drain in the fuse panel that was the dome light fuse. So I was a lazy ass and just let it out. The bad thing was that I lost alot of functions I would like to get back working. The clock,electric windows,electric door locks,trip meter,dome lights, alarm system all have no power till the key is on. as long as the key is on,these items function fine. I have even taken the door switches out and removed the wires to the dome lights as well as remove the bulbs in the dome and unplugged the clock at different times and put the dome fuse back in only to still have the drain. Whenever I put the fuse back in,I hear the Power outlet circuit breaker click. I have even taken the wires off the lighter as well as the 2 power outlets and traced the wires as far as I can looking for a problem. On another note, I did have an aftermarket taillight plug system for a trailer wiring kit that I removed awhile ago. I am at my wits end and need some help. Is there any wiring diagrams that may be able to help me. I'd like to get this fixed before winter if possible. I am planning on keeping this truck for a few more years and would like to have it working good again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone??? I am not looking forward to taking it to the Toyota shop..60 bucks an hour most likely...:doah:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
wow man i work on electrical everyday on ground up project cars and i run into these things everyonce in a while. the only thing i can really say works for me is i go around and test every switch and socket on that circuit. try one at a time hookign up each item and testign the fuse. i cant be sure that the trailer wiring may nto be the problem either. it could even be the alarm. i had a draw problem cause by one of my alarms once so i yanked it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts