Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"98 extended cab 2wd 5spd"
off of what vehicle do i need to get a ford 9" axle from? will the axle bolt onto my leaf springs? once bolted, I then have to get some fab work to get the drive shaft bolted?

·
Registered
14,485 Posts
measure between the center holes onyour axle and axle width and go searchin at a junkyard.. its gona be hard to find an axle that sits atop of the leafs like our axles do, however you can do a flip kit with weld on perches.. and that isnt too hard at all:waytogo:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i figure this would be good a time than any to install a forward 4 link.
explorer's have rear disks? is it a 9"?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Exploders have 8.8" rears with disc brakes. You can also get the 8.8" from a 2000-up Ranger if you can't find an Exploder one. Disc brake conversion kit is $350 or so. I have an 8.8' from a 2000 Ranger with 3.55 ring and pinion and a LSD that I'll let go for $100 if you wanna pick it up from Jax, FL or pay for shipping on. Getting rid of my Ranger project. Making room for an X. :D

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
i'll suggest the 8.8 rear too.
you will see significant parasitic power loss with the 9 inch... my V8 Pinto came with a 9 inch, and when i put an 8.8 in out of a 89 5.0 Mustang in it, i actually increased wheel HP. ( engine over 600 )
one thing for certain, you wont break the 9 inch no matter what power levels you are running... but with a 2.4L, you wont break the 8.8 either.
dave

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats what i was worried about as well, the weight.
explorer 8.8" with disk... sounds good..
so um.. what year explorers?

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
If you have a torch, a grinder, a good welder, and a measuring tape, there isnt much that you cant do. only issue might be driveshaft extension / shortening, in which case you'll want a machinst's touch to maintain balance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.