Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"98 extended cab 2wd 5spd"
off of what vehicle do i need to get a ford 9" axle from? will the axle bolt onto my leaf springs? once bolted, I then have to get some fab work to get the drive shaft bolted?

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
use the rear end from an explorer... then you'll not only get the immutable for rearend, but you'll get big disks too...

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i figure this would be good a time than any to install a forward 4 link.
explorer's have rear disks? is it a 9"?

·
Animal Mother
4,162 Posts
Explorer's do not have 9" rear ends...
Dude... go to any junk yard, find the old rear wheel drive fords.... mid 70's will work fine.... you will fine HUNDREDS of old 9" rear ends..... we used them in every racecar we ever built.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Exploders have 8.8" rears with disc brakes. You can also get the 8.8" from a 2000-up Ranger if you can't find an Exploder one. Disc brake conversion kit is $350 or so. I have an 8.8' from a 2000 Ranger with 3.55 ring and pinion and a LSD that I'll let go for $100 if you wanna pick it up from Jax, FL or pay for shipping on. Getting rid of my Ranger project. Making room for an X. :D

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
i'll suggest the 8.8 rear too.
you will see significant parasitic power loss with the 9 inch... my V8 Pinto came with a 9 inch, and when i put an 8.8 in out of a 89 5.0 Mustang in it, i actually increased wheel HP. ( engine over 600 )
one thing for certain, you wont break the 9 inch no matter what power levels you are running... but with a 2.4L, you wont break the 8.8 either.
dave

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats what i was worried about as well, the weight.
explorer 8.8" with disk... sounds good..
so um.. what year explorers?

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
If you have a torch, a grinder, a good welder, and a measuring tape, there isnt much that you cant do. only issue might be driveshaft extension / shortening, in which case you'll want a machinst's touch to maintain balance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts