Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 tacoma sr5 4x4 v6 extended cab i drag race regularly. I am on my third set of leaf springs in 3 years and will need another set next month
am i the only one having this problem? i know the taco spring design is bad but are there any alternatives? springs from a different yr make model that will fit???

Lowered with a flip kit in the rear and custom coilovers in the front

Custom air intake
Cold fusion nitrous system 100 Shot
Trd supercharger
URD 9.5psi pully
URD fuel injection upgrade kit
URD wide band kit
Downey headders
Downey Y pipe
Magna flow Cat
Gibson Exhaust
Richmond locker
10 way adjustable shocks
and lots lots more
working on a 12.6second quarter mile and a top speed of over 200mph

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have pics of my truck and more info on it on my AOL profile my screen name is JBR12211 they are old pics though

i have replacement springs plus 1 was added to the pack on each side to make them stronger and since the springs dont hold it at proper ride height ....(high enough so the fender clears a 20"rim with a 45 series tire on it) i also have air lift ride control air springs that go between the spring and the frame but they keep sliding foward on the spring

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont drag race with the 20's silly they are too heavy they are actually smaller than the oem 31"tires

i have the stock tires for the winter 31/10.5/15
summer 275/45/20's
race 255/55/16

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
this means im running the exact same set up as my friends truck that ran 12.6 but i havent had mine to the track since all the engine upgrades were done cause at 150,000miles the clutch is getting tired and starts to slip when i hit the nitrous button....i am waiting on a 13lb fly wheel from lc engineering

·
more Ψ
2,682 Posts
rednecktaco said:
u maight need a traction bar to stop axel wrap.
:waytogo:

Any pics of the broken leaf or ideas on how you are breaking them? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well as it stands now ...last week i raced a friend of mine after the race he came up to me and said "my speed limiter stopped me at 120 then i heard u shift into 5th gear"

yeah i forgot to mention i have the URD top speed governer bybass chip i think shell do about 140 mph. thats with 4:11's in the rear end
now if i switch to the 2:56 rear end we will have to see

i will have 8 miles to get up to speed

aerodynamics? thats y i lowered it ....i didnt do it to look like a homie i did it for top end speed and during speed week i will have my adjustable suspension all the way down so there will be around 1.25" between the skid plate and the ground

is there someone that makes 4 links for tacos?

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
SPROCKIT said:
i will have 8 miles to get up to speed
8 miles to get to 200mph? What's the purpose of this then?

SPROCKIT said:
aerodynamics? thats y i lowered it ....i didnt do it to look like a homie i did it for top end speed and during speed week i will have my adjustable suspension all the way down so there will be around 1.25" between the skid plate and the ground
If it looks like a refrigerator, it's still a refrigerator. Your drag coefficient in this truck is off the charts. Lowered or not, it's still not top speed worthy. On top of that, it's still a heavy pig. It's a 4x4.

SPROCKIT said:
is there someone that makes 4 links for tacos?
I'm really wondering where you're looking to go w/ this truck. Adjustable suspension? Drag truck? 4x4? Come on.....think about this. Your head is in the wrong place here.

Sure you can do a 4link in the rear, but then you're talking about completely redoing the front clip to be able to have an adjustable suspension all around. You can't bag a 4x4 w/o redoing the front suspension completely to a 2wd setup. Plus the angle of your drive train w/ the front differential, the shafts, I think you really need to think about what the hell you want out of your truck. Sounds as if you need to either do a swap into a 2wd, or buy a car.

On top of that an adjustable suspension to take the place of a drag suspension isn't going to hook up as well. Let alone at 200mph? I don't think so.

Use some common sense and rethink what you want out of your truck.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a 4 wheel drive vehicle will launch better than any 2 wheel drive vehicle
my best 60 foot time BEFORE i did all the work was 1.8seconds

y do i want to do this??? cause people tell me i cant do it or it wont happen its not possible ... that and i like to speed

i just wanna see how fast a truck with 150,000miles on it with 10psi and a 100 shot will go ....first with the 4:11 then with the 2:56

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE??? of the bonneville salt flats?
to go fast.....y do i wanna go 200 in a tacoma? cause i think its achievable and would be fun......
is it worth risking my life? Hell yeah!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what i want out of my truck?
i want what noone thinks is achievable
i want what noone expects
i want fast
i want HP
i want 4wheel drive

if you dont think a tacoma can go fast contact PSI Racing about their 98 tacoma that does the quarter in 11.7 at 124mph with over 700hp

so is there a quality leaf spring out there? does anyone know?

·
Registered
14,487 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 112 Posts