Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
You can put the thickest headgasket on it and will never notice any differenc n/a.
I haven't driven my truck in a month, forgot when the boost comes on.
But at 6psi and the small turbo, its fast. Around 2600k rpm.
Pretty much when the n/a feels like it's ran out of power around 3k, the boost has already kicked in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great write-up with tons of pictures!

The W58 from a MK2 Supra (82-86) is exactly the same... exept the shifter location is a little forward.

The W55 from Lexus IS300 has shorter ratios than the W58 (if it could interest someone). It should be the same job as the W58 swap.

·
Registered
39 Posts

so i cant post URLs yet to show you a pic of the W58 I bought but I did purchase it and should arrive within the next week. I got the one with the short throw on it. Now after reading this thread I am under the impression that I will have to open the W58 up and swap out the gear from my W59 and as well as the bellhousing?

Thank you for the post BTW. This really help me decide on th W58 instead of the TR6060 swap. lol which wouldve been costly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i just remembered that i already had a stage 4 comp clutch for my 2rz. Stupid question, will i still be able to use it with the W58?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Hafa Adai Ed! Yup it will work! Looks like my taco is headed to Guam soon. Sold to my Pare back home!

·
Registered
2,582 Posts

so i cant post URLs yet to show you a pic of the W58 I bought but I did purchase it and should arrive within the next week. I got the one with the short throw on it. Now after reading this thread I am under the impression that I will have to open the W58 up and swap out the gear from my W59 and as well as the bellhousing?

Thank you for the post BTW. This really help me decide on th W58 instead of the TR6060 swap. lol which wouldve been costly.
I'm guessing the one with the red paint is a W58 with a shorter throw setup? I've never seen one like that before. Will you have to cut into your transmission tunnel for it to fit?

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
That w58 with the red parts looks like its from a 1JZ engine..

If it's going in the Tacoma and you want everything like stock, your not going to use any of that anyways.

I hope you didn't pay a ton for it and that it has the steel sandwhich plate (that red painted stripe)
Get your magnet, if it sticks, sweet, if not, its not... Well, I hope you didn't pay more than $200 for it. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
i got the one without the paint. The one with the red paint is from a 1JZ. wasnt that much. Guy I got it from rebuilt it completely. I refered him to this thread to check it out and he said that I shouldnt have a prolem with the swap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm guessing the one with the red paint is a W58 with a shorter throw setup? I've never seen one like that before.

This W58 comes from Supra MK4 N/A and Lexus SC300 (both 2JZ-GE). They are also often used in manual swap for Soarer and SC400.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You can not use the Tacoma W59 tailhousing on the Supra W58,
there are different size bearings for the shafts.
I thought I'd share that to save ya the hassle..

.. I recommend using a fresh seal on the output for the driveshaft.

Nice write-up Chris :waytogo:
I wish I had read it before I swapped mine. I ran into the bearing size difference issue as well..about a millimeter difference in diameter...and I don't think they can be removed without busting them up.

Also, I would like to add that replacing the input shaft seal while the transmission is not yet installed wouldn't be a bad idea considering it is 25+ years old.
I say that 'cause mine started leaking yesterday..hope it didn't get into the new clutch set-up :frown

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Nice write-up Chris :waytogo:
I wish I had read it before I swapped mine. I ran into the bearing size difference issue as well..about a millimeter difference in diameter...and I don't think they can be removed without busting them up.

Also, I would like to add that replacing the input shaft seal while the transmission is not yet installed wouldn't be a bad idea considering it is 25+ years old.
I say that 'cause mine started leaking yesterday..hope it didn't get into the new clutch set-up :frown

there's no way for the gear oil to get to the clutch...two completely separate "compartments". Mine leaked for quite some time...never had an issue with gear oil working forward and making it's way inside the bell housing...

Reactions: Chris D.

·
Registered
758 Posts
W58

• First Gear: 3.285:1
  • Second Gear: 1.894:1
  • Third Gear: 1.275:1
  • Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
  • Fifth Gear: 0.783:1
  • Reverse: -3.768:1
W59

• First Gear: 3.954:1
  • Second Gear: 2.141:1
  • Third Gear: 1.384:1
  • Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
  • Fifth Gear: 0.81:1

The above is the gear spread according to Wikipedia.
After installing lower differential gears and a turbo, 1st gear of your stock Tacoma W59 is rendered pretty much useless.

I couldn't wait for the genuine Toyota seal I special ordered PN(90311-30115), so I went to the local NAPA and got one. Its a U.S. made SKF seal PN(11615) so it should be fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
The original seal was rock hard and made a mess in the bellhousing when it leaked. To replace it, the trans came off again, the bearing retainer was unbolted and carefully tapped on to loosen it without damaging the gasket. Once removed, the old seal is easily pried out with a flat screwdriver and the new one tapped into place. I used Toyota FIPG sealant (form in place gasket)pn 00295-00103 together with the old gasket to ensure no leaks.
Yes, oil did make its way into the pressure plate and clutch disc. Its a puck style disc, so I flushed it all down with several cans of brake cleaner and hope for the best

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well you for got to mention that a spacer is needed for the bell housing because the w58 transmission shaft is longer by a 1/2 inch. Thank for the information about the shifter housing

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well you for got to mention that a spacer is needed for the bell housing because the w58 transmission shaft is longer by a 1/2 inch.
Hmmm.. I didn't have that problem at all.
The "R" series transmissions are the ones I was told need to have input shafts cut down by
approximately 5/8 of an inch.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Well you for got to mention that a spacer is needed for the bell housing because the w58 transmission shaft is longer by a 1/2 inch. Thank for the information about the shifter housing
No spacer should be needed if you're doing this swap on a 2RZ. I'm on my second W58, both from the 80's era, and had no such issue with needing a spacer.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
You use your original Tacoma W59 bellhousing on the Supra W58....

Same goes for the tail shaft.

I used mostly pictures edited with information on what to do long before the Photobucket cash grab way back when.

I wish I had saved the photos to CustomTacos for archivability

41 - 60 of 66 Posts