Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Gear lube.
I would change your shifter sub assembly bushing while your in there, and possibly your tail shaft seal.
A case of beer, cuz if you've never had ur trans out, its a b*tch ur first time:D
All of the above, beverage of choice.
When I reinstall the trans, I use a tip from Firdaddy where I put the transmission into the crossmember upside down and as far back as I can, then rotate the trans, slide it on, much easier.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What's the advantage of the w58? also, what engine was used in the write up. and what engines does this apply to?

Thanks for your contribution Chris! Also, the truck in your sig looks amazing. Probably the best looking lowered Taco I've seen.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What's the advantage of the w58? also, what engine was used in the write up. and what engines does this apply to?

Thanks for your contribution Chris! Also, the truck in your sig looks amazing. Probably the best looking lowered Taco I've seen.
tighter grouped gear ratios and strength. writeup is for 2rz or 3rz. but possibly applicable to other w-series equipped vehicles, pending they have correct sensors. my w58 came with an extra sensor on top that i didnt use.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

tighter grouped gear ratios and strength. writeup is for 2rz or 3rz. but possibly applicable to other w-series equipped vehicles, pending they have correct sensors. my w58 came with an extra sensor on top that i didnt use.

I updated some of the info on the first post. :headbang:

·
Registered
40 Posts
tighter grouped gear ratios

With the Supra W58, 1st and 2nd gears are much longer than the Tacoma's and the gearing is more sports car like vs stock..
It has a nice flow between gears and you'll drop some RPM's in 5th on the freeway..
Am I missing something, these seem contradictory? They're both grouped tighter, and 1st and 2nd are longer?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Am I missing something, these seem contradictory? They're both grouped tighter, and 1st and 2nd are longer?
You are not missing anything. This is a very over exaggerated example, but will help you understand the concept.

We are going to get rid of 2nd and 4th gear in your truck's w59 trans. Now that extreme drop in rpm's between shifts, bogs the engine down since its not in its optimal power range. It gets to the top speed but since the engine needs to lug all the way back up the rpm range, it takes some time.

The w58 on the other hand, gets rid of 1st and 2nd gear. It takes a bit more to get it moving but once going, it easily powers to the top speed since the ratios put the engine in a better power range between shifts. Though it may seem it would be hard to get the truck moving, we are talking in context of higher powered cars/trucks that have no problem getting off the line.

Those "longer" gears are exactly how this w58 example depicts them to be. Same number of gears, same top speed but that 1st gear feels like starting in 2nd.

Again, this is exaggerated.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The Supra gearing is more even across the board (tighter) a.k.a. more evenly spread and car like.
The Taco trans's 1st and 2nd are geared to pull tree stumps.
Do the math with thestock taco trans at 3k rpm per gear and notice the difference mph wize 1st, 2nd then compare 3rd and 4th.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
You know, after looking at some of your images, it might be a good time to change out some of the bearings you have easy access to. Just an idea...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Just picked me up a w58 from a 90' Supra. Thanks for the write-up Chris. :waytogo:

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
What is your current rear gear ratio?
I bought a used 3rd member from BlazinS10..
Not sure if its the same gearing as stock (5spd) or if it was from an auto.
Not much of a difference, but with 215-50-17's, my speed is about 1mph off @ 60 according to my gps.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I bought a used 3rd member from BlazinS10..
Not sure if its the same gearing as stock (5spd) or if it was from an auto.
Not much of a difference, but with 215-50-17's, my speed is about 1mph off @ 60 according to my gps.
I wanted to know about a few things and since your gearing is about the same as mine I should be able to compare. At what rpm do you start boosting? If I remember correctly you also have a 2mm head gasket. With the longer gears from the w58 do you regret going with the thicker head gasket resulting in loss of N/A power or do you boost early enough to whwere you don't notice it? I personally don't like the loss in N/A power outside of boost but with 91 octane fuel you can only run so much boost without dropping compression.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts